Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Englishman's Farm

Nathan Greenfield

In the regimental history of the R-I-R 236, published in 1938, there is a graphic account of the storming of "the Englishman's Farm" by a German machine gun platoon.

According to the map I have from Vol 8 of the German Official History, the 236 was positioned between the 235 and 234, more or less on the road from St. Julien to Keerselaere.

Does anyone know where "the Englishman's Farm" was? The report and location of the regiment match pretty well with the battle for Doxee's House.

The action took place on the 24 April.

Cheers,

Nathan

Does anyone know where "the Englishman's Farm" was? 

Again, using an "educated guess", I'd say it was what the British maps refer to as "Triangle Farm" (shown on the maps I posted on your other thread). This was the only farm in the area of the St.Julien/Keersalare road and was held ,and lost ,by the 7th Battalion, Canadian Infantry on 24th April.

Seeing as the 51st reserve Div. had mainly fought the French upto this point, I suppose it's a possibility that their encounter with the Canucks (similar uniform to the English) in this farm could lead them to name it the Englishman's Farm?

Dave.