Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Painted 'soldier' memorials on the Western Front.

Max Poilu

I recently came across this splendid Poilu memorial in the small village of Cappy near Vaux on the river Somme. The detail is superb down to every piece of equipment, he appears to be around 1 1/2 times life size.

Obviously there is a memorial in virtually every French town and village and I have seen the odd one painted all one colour (green or brown generally) but nothing like this before.

Is anyone aware of any similar examples French or British?

post-569-1120138979.jpg

Giles

Are these painted or are they enamelled?

If the latter, then of course the Welsh memorial facing the hammerhead at Mametz wood.

I would not think paint would last very long anyway.

Martin

Martin,

I am sure they are simply painted and this must I imagine be renewed quite frequently. Regarding Mametz I was really referring to 'soldier' memorials ahthough the red dragon is of course one of the most striking of all the various general memorials.

There's a similar statue at Ayette on the Somme, but I don't have a photo. I believe it was common practice to paint statues like this in the Middle Ages, although obviously that doesn't explain why it's still happening.

Swizz

Thanks, he does have a marvellous face. As you can see it was a beautiful day - when I came round the corner and saw this gentleman 'jumping out' at me it was quite a surprise.