Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA B Battery 79th Brigade

draperju

Can anyone help in supplying any information on the above battery. I am researching Second Lieutenant J T Strang who died on the 18th May 1918

Best wishes

Draperju

• 9 months later...
Guest Kristin
Can anyone help in supplying any information on the above battery. I am researching Second Lieutenant J T Strang who died on the 18th May 1918

Best wishes

Draperju

Sorry that I can't help you with what you needed. I am curious, however, if you know what division the 79th Brigade served in? I'm researching Bombardier William Birkhead who died on December 10, 1915, and am having very little luck. He was in D Battery.

Guest jacksonoman
Sorry that I can't help you with what you needed. I am curious, however, if you know what division the 79th Brigade served in? I'm researching Bombardier William Birkhead who died on December 10, 1915, and am having very little luck. He was in D Battery.

I am researching A/Captain H.J. Cannan. DSO. Of 78 or 79 Brigade. 17th(northern) Division. He died of wounds Nov 1916 and burried at St Sever cemetery, Rouen.

Hi Draperju, Kristin and Jacko,

Do you have the MIC and Overseas Date for your men.

A few years ago I was at the NA looking for info on my g'father. I only found his MIC and his Overseas Date was 13-7-1915. When I looked through Embarkation dates of Units going Overseas the only RFA Brigades which could possibly match were 78th, 79th and 80th, of the 17th Division.

I don't have my notes at hand but from memory, the 78th left Southampton 12th/13th, the 80th 13th/14th and the 79th 14th/15th. All landed at La Havre.

From this, I thought my g'father was likely in the 78th Brigade but I would love to know what other men in the 17th Division Overseas Dates were.

Paul S

Guest Kristin
Hi Draperju, Kristin and Jacko,

Do you have the MIC and Overseas Date for your men.

A few years ago I was at the NA looking for info on my g'father. I only found his MIC and his Overseas Date was 13-7-1915. When I looked through Embarkation dates of Units going Overseas the only RFA Brigades which could possibly match were 78th, 79th and 80th, of the 17th Division.

I don't have my notes at hand but from memory, the 78th left Southampton 12th/13th, the 80th 13th/14th and the 79th 14th/15th. All landed at La Havre.

From this, I thought my g'father was likely in the 78th Brigade but I would love to know what other men in the 17th Division Overseas Dates were.

Paul S

I'm not sure of William Birkhead's exact date but I know that he died on December 10, 1915, in Ypres so it would make sense seeing as he was in the 79th. I wasn't aware that they left Southampton then- thank you very much for your info! Was it at the NA that you found the Embarkation dates? Eee, looks like I might have to make a trip out to England!

Kristin,

I looked at William Birkhead on CWGC. His RFA # is 39019. My g'uncle was RFA#39639 and my g'father was RFA#41116.

I found my g'uncle's record at the National Archive and he signed-up in September 1914 and was inducted in October 1914.

The MIC which I mentioned before stands for Medal Index Card and you can download William Birkhead's from the National Archive site for three pounds fifty.

Paul