Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where was RFA "C" Bty. 48th Bde. in March 1916?

David Gregory

I am trying to find out more about the circumstances surrounding the death of Gunner E G Simmons, 81627 of "C" Battery, 48th Brigade, who died on 6 March 1916 and is buried at Barly French Military Cemetery, according to the CWGC casualty data base.

Although this request might be better suited to the Soldiers section, I am asking here as I first want to find out about his unit and its location and activities. Perhaps a moderator could move the thread if it is not appropriate here.

British units are not my forte, but I understand from the Long, Long Trail that his unit was part of 14th (Light) Division. Unfortunately, the divisional overview does not show where the unit was when Gunner Simmons died in March 1916.

Since finding out more about him will probably entail a visit to Kew when I have enough time, I would like to find out as much as possible in advance to make sure that I waste as little time there as possible.

Am I correct in assuming that he served with 14th Division and, if so, can anyone point me in the right direction to find out more about the circumstances of his death?

Does anyone know of or have access to any war diaries, unit histories or other sources that might provide information on the circumstances of his death and/or the activities and location of his unit in March 1916?

Many thanks in advance,

David

Hi Roop,

Thank you for that information, which gets me one step closer to finding out more.

Can anyone confirm if 48th Brigade RFA was in fact part of 14th (Light) Division?

Where was the unit in March 1916?

Many thanks in advance,

David

David wrote:

Can anyone confirm if 48th Brigade RFA was in fact part of 14th (Light) Division?

David: 48th Brigade RFA was part of 14th (Light) Division up to 6 January 1917. After that date it was redesignated as 48th Army Brigade, RFA under 1st Army.

Your man, 81627 Gnr Ernest Simmons, was born at West Grinstead, Sussex and enlisted at Portsmouth. He died on 6 Mar 16. Since he is listed in Soldiers Died as "Died" rather than "Killed in Action" or "Died of Wounds", it most likely that he died of illness or injury and may have been in a hospital or other medical facility when he died rather than with his brigade. Dick

Dick,

Thank you very much for that astonishingly detailled information.

Pardon me if my question seems a little naive, but where can I find that sort of information for British personnel from "Soldiers Died"? This seems to be more than the CWGC site has. Is it an online service, archive record or book?

If it can be purchased, what level of information does it contain and how much does it cost?

I can count on one hand (perhaps two in the not-too-distant future) the number of British soldiers whose service lives I want to research, compared to several hundred Germans, who are much easier for me to research using regimental histories, etc., here in Germany.

If I can help with any information on German units, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks in advance,

David

David: The information on Gnr Simmons came from a book entitled: "Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19. Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery, Regulars and Territorial Force (including Honourable Artillery Company Batteries). Royal Garrison Artillery." This series was published in 80 parts and covered all units of the British Army. A CD with this information is available from Naval and Military Press at £285

(http://www.naval-military-press.com).

Regards. Dick