Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interned Aircraft

Alan Peacock

I am searching for more info. on aircraft interned by neutral

countries during WW1. Any info. would be appreciated.

Alan.

Hmm, one of those interesting sites that you can't back out of! The sort that makes me want to strangle the site's webmaster.

If you have any specific enquires you might write to:

Sectie Luchtmacht Historie

Postbus 20703

NL-2500 ES's - Gravenhage

that's the official history department of the Dutch airforce (I think), they have always been very helpful to me.

Mike

Murders are more often commited by lower-educated people than higher-educated people. The above proofs this.

Microsoft IE explorer has wat can be called a 'previous button'. When you select this with your right mouse button you get a list of previous sites and you select the one you want to return to. Works all the time.

Regards,

Marco

• 1 month later...

Hi Alan C&CI also had some very good articles on interned aircraft. Of particular interest might be the following

Reference Author Article/Abstract

16.018-031 Harry Van Dorssen & Frits Gerdessen Interned, A list of aeroplanes of all nationalities that were interned by the Dutch authorities 1914-18; Aircraft, crew and circumstances in chronological order (15p)

Not WW1 but WW2 - I found the well illustrated books 'Strangers in a Strange Land' fascinating. Most, mainly USAAF aircraft, were interned in Switzerland, being unable to make it back to the UK because of damage. The authors might know of something similar for WW1.

Just did a quick Google on this and found at http://www.bestwebbuys.com/0897471989:

Author: Hans-Heiri Stapfer

Format: Paperback

Publication Date: November 1911

Publisher: Squadron/Signal Pubns

Dimensions:11"H x 8.75"W x 0.25"D; 0.6 lbs.

ISBN: 0897471989

List Price: $10.95

Date is given as 1911 which I think should be 1991!

Volume 2 is

Strangers in a Strange Land: Escape to Neutrality, Vol. Volume #2

Authors: Hans-Heiri Stapfer, Gino Kunzle

Format: Paperback

Publication Date: December 1992

Publisher: Squadron/Signal Pubns

Dimensions:11"H x 8.5"W x 0.5"D; 0.6 lbs.

ISBN: 0897472780

List Price: $12.95

Here in Luxembourg several allied aircraft crash landed and when reports reached the authorities there was, apparently, in effect a race to get there.

If the Germans got there first, the crew was taken off to a POW camp, but if the Luxembourg authorities got there first, the crew was taken to the city to be interned in the Gendarmerie barracks.

There is one lovely story I came across (came across the file in the Archives).

A French pilot complained to the Prime Minister that the british were being allowed out of the barracks every day to go into the city, have a drink and a walk, etc. He wasn't allowed to leave the barracks and found it unfair.

The reply (signed by the PM) explained that the British were all officers and as gentlemen had given their parole not to escape. He was a mere sergeant, was therefore not a gentleman and could not therefore be trusted to give his parole!

Amazingly, he seems to have accepted this.

Times have changed.