Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer material

KILTY

If it's of any interest, my Grandad when leaving school worked as a farm labourer then a postman, and the rest of his working life "down the pit".

Regards Kilty.

Was he an officer?

I would think it rather a wild claim that no Miners achieved N.C.O. status 194/1918, I can name 5 offhand from my home village and one was evntually commissioned, Charlie Lowe, Lincolns. Although it has to be said when he enlisted Charlie Lowe was playing Cricket for Derbyshire.

Cliff. Hobson

I'm away from my books at the moment but I seem to recall that Norman Collins (whose WW1 letters and recollections were published as 'Last Man Standing') wrote to his parents when he was commissioned (in the Seaforths) along the lines of 'it will appear in the London Gazette in a few weeks, that will the only intimation'.

I have an even vaguer recollection of a discussion during WW1 about the use of a rubber stamp (or perhaps some other mechanical aid) in place of the King's actual signature on commissions, presumably a reflection of the large numbers/backlog to be issued.

Jock Bruce (the real one)

P.S. No miner an NCO - spheroids. Few miners officers - doubtless.

After a few phone calls to certain members of the family, Im now the proud owner of my Grandads commission certificate

found in a suitcase on the loft.I know it's just a piece of paper but it means the world to me. I'm sure other Pals will

know what I'm saying..

I do indeed, and am thrilled for you. Its amazing what other members one's family can come up with when they start digging around their attics.

Would it by any chance be possible for you to post the wording of the certificate? Specifically I'd be interested to know the date on which the certificate was issued, and the date of the commission itself. I can also compare it to the wording on a modern certificate - I have a hunch that it hasnt changed a great deal.

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW
Gloden Dallas and Douglas Gill wrote a book called 'The Hidden Army' about 20 years ago. In it they claimed that there was not a single example of of a miner achieving NCO status in the British Army between 1914 and 1918.

Well, Dallas and Gill are definitely wrong- in one case which I can provide details for:

Charles Webster (1892-1972)- my great uncle and a miner in Doncaster. He served in the army, and rose to either Sergeant or Company Sergeant Major (I'm not sure which rank, I'll have to ask my folks). Also, for those discussing minimum height in the British Army: Charlie was 6ft 4. He returned after the war, and continued as a miner: firstly in Yorkshire, and then Kent.