Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vimy Memorial

Richard Bain

post-4226-1120068484.jpgHello Pals,

In another topic, I intimated that I would be going on a whistlestop tour along the D929 looking for Scottish memorials. However, I called in at Vimy and the memorial is closed for essential repairs. It is hoped to have it reopened sometime in 2007. The tunnels, trenches and cemeteries are unaffected. It would appear that time and water have taken their toll on the memorial and approx. 30% of the stone is having to be replaced.

If you read this, Malcolm, I think the Longueval piper's no' bad at a'. He reminds me of the piper on the bas relief at the war memorial at Edinburgh Castle. He's a bit bright right enough, but I think he'll improve with age.

I managed to visit most of the Scottish sites such as High Wood, Beaumont Havel and Authilles, but I discovered this wee gable end in Albert - what do you think?

If you're ever there, you should be able to work out where it is from the position of the basilica and there's even a nice wee Franco-Scottish estaminet just across the road.

Richard Bain

and there's even a nice wee Franco-Scottish estaminet just across the road.

The mind boggles!

What's it called?

This gable end is seen as you come out of the Park.

As to the 'Estaminet' it must have changed it's name. So far as I know it is a French bar with very tenuous Scottish connections.

Not the happiest place to visit in Albert. OK for a quick snifter but a bit like the Marie Celeste most of the time. Sorry Marie!

Martin

That's it.

Got it in one Tom!

Memory cells-what are those?

Martin