Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Battalion The Buffs

squirrel

Does anyone have access to the War Diary of 3rd Buffs?

Looking to double check when they relieved 1st Grenadier Guards in Big Willie trench Hohenzollern Redoubt between 12th and 16th October 1915.

Ist GG War Diary has different date to Official History is reason for query.

found this on the long trail.

The 1/5th Battalion (TF), the South Staffordshire Regiment

Date

The locations and activities of the battalion.

2/10/15

Paraded at 11am, marched to Abeele and entrained. Arrived at Fouquereuil at 6.15pm, and moved to billets in L’Ecleme, near Lillers, arriving at 12.30am on the 3/10/15.

6/10/15

Marched at 10.15am to Vaudricourt, near Bethune and into billets.

12/10/15

Proceeded to the trenches in relief of the 3rd Guards Brigade. The line taken over runs from G5c 8.7 to G5c 8.9 thence along Big Willie Trench.

13/10/15

Took part in an attack on the Hohenzollern Redoubt and suffered many casualties. [A detailed report of this action is here].

14/10/15

Relieved at midnight by the 3rd Guards Brigade.

15/10/15

Arrived in billets in Sailly Labourse at 8am and rested. At 2pm, marched to Fouquieres, and into billets.

19/10/15

Marched to billets in Allouagne.

25/10/15

Marched to billets in Fouquieres.

Month

Total Battalion casualties 46 killed, 5 died of wounds, 219 wounded, 52 missing believed killed.

and there is some here http://www.1914-1918.net/BATTLES/bat13_loo...t13_actual7.htm as well.

Does anyone have access to the War Diary of 3rd Buffs?

Looking to double check when they relieved 1st Grenadier Guards in Big Willie trench Hohenzollern Redoubt between 12th and 16th October 1915.

Ist GG War Diary has different date to Official History is reason for query.

3rd Buffs weren't in France. As a Reserve battalion, they didn't leave Kent - spent the war as Dover Garrison.

But that's what the 1st Grenadier Guards War Diary looks like it says which is why I raised the question. I will have another look tonight but the writing is poor and the copy not too good either.

But that's what the 1st Grenadier Guards War Diary looks like it says which is why I raised the question. I will have another look tonight but the writing is poor and the copy not too good either.

At that time, the 1st Buffs were in 16 Bd, 6 Divn; the 2nd were in France as part of 85 Bde, 28 Divn, but left for Salonika on 25th October; the 6th was in 37 Bde, 12 Divn; the 7th were in 55 Bde, 18 Divn; the 8th were in 24 Divn - in 72 Bde until 18.10.15, then in 17 Bde.

I wonder if the figure 8 could be mistaken for a 3 - however, the History of the Guards Divn comments that the Divn was relieved by the 46th and 12th Divisions at the time in question - so my money would be on the 6thBn, The Buffs.

Had a good look at the copy of the 1st Battn. Grenadier Guards diary from which my copy was made.

The handwriting of "Battn." looks just like "Buffs" and on the original copy, in another hand and just discernable, has been added "Coldstream" after it.

The next sentence still makes sense without this addition so hence the confusion.

Thanks to all for your help and advice, time and trouble.

I suppose the problem is caused by a simple fact - would you really expect a Guards officer to write clearly? In civvy street he was probably a doctor, or else he had a wonderful little chap who did his writing for him!

Steven,

sorry for the late reply - Guards Officer probably only used to writing home to ask Pater for some more cash. Friend of mine commented that Guards diaries are notorious for the lack of information they contain.

Makes life difficult when you are trying to find out what happened to a relative though.

Having finally deciphered things the dates do match up so I know where he was wounded and between which dates. No other info apart from 2 likely CCS's where he died.