Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harpenden War Memorial

Raster Scanning

Interesting article here does anyone know more about this? The article is from 2001.

Cheers

The problem with the Great War memorials is that no one actually owns them. They were raised by public subscription, often by a community that no onger exists. In most areas either the local Church, Parish or Royal British Legion have adopted them and maintain their upkeep.

In writing the Warwickshire Roll of Honour, my husband tracked down two war memorials and six Roll of Honour's that were now in private hands and discovered that one war memorial had 'dissapeared'.

Lets hope they manage to achieve their aims !

Patrick

It is not correct to say that 'nobody owns them'! There may have been many entities that arranged for a particular memorial to be built, but they all have owners or entities responsible for their upkeep. In most cases the 'village' memorial will either be on church land, and owned by the church, or on land for which the local council is responsible. In the case of rolls of honour appearing in factories or offices, they are either owned by that company, or sold on with the building or land. But some entity will have responsibility for them, even if they do not wish it!

In all and any case such as this, contact the War Memroials Trust (google for website, but it is something like www.warmemorials.org). They were formerly known as Friends of War Memorials. They are a properly registered charity whose aim is the perservation and upkeep of our war memorials nationwide. Their president is Winston Churchill MP, and have been going since the mid 1990's.

They are working in conjunction with English Heritage and may give grants in certain cases for memorial rennovation, etc.

Whatever the circumstances of a particular memorial, don't let it slip away for lack of action!

Ian

Its not a point for us to argue about, but I can assure Ian that during my lengthy interest into War Memorials, and during the course of researching and writing about somewhere in the region of eighty War Memorials, I have been invited to many heated Parish meetings, Royal British Legion meetings, etc to discuss 'mostly' who will pay for a repair or upkeep of a Memorial. This is one reason why Friends of War Memorials need to exist! Most village or town War Memorials were built by the raising of public subscriptions. Yes-usually a prominent local person like a mayor, local Doctor, etc, organised the project and usually this was because they had a relative entered on it. The land was often donated by a local well to do family.

However, if a War Memorial is in a church or cemetery then yes the Church will take responsibility for its upkeep. If in the town square then the local Parish Council or RBL will assume responsibility. If in a business premises then yes the modern day firm will assume responsibility. But the fact remains that no one owns the vast majority of War Memorials in the thousands of small villages and towns around the UK, and as a direct result, these are the ones that fall into disrepair or simply vanish. This fact has been clearly demonstrated over and over again when it comes to paying for their renovation, and anyone who studies memorials will know this. Everyone assumes that someone else owns it or will fix it.

Always remember, each War Memorial is as different in size and shape as it is in circumstance. It is our job to ensure that as many survive as possible, and by researching them and then writing about them I hope to be contributing in my small way.

Warwick,

No arguing I agree - we are obviously on the same side! My point to anyone reading this thread, who may not be familiar with the struggle of paying for memorial preservation, is not to give up thinking that nobody owns it. A bit of local research can uncover much, even if it becomes a 'pass the parcel' when coughing up for repairs is in consideration. Then there is the other side of the coin, when greed for land brings forth strong contention for ownership, if building rights come along with it (having memorial meadows in mind).

Good luck in your efforts, thanks.

Ian

Whilst on holiday in Eastbourne I came across the Memorial for all those who had died whilst in Eastbourne Central Military Hospital also known as St Mary's Hospital. This memorial is now in the Redoubt Military Museum on Eastbourne sea front. The point is if was not in the Military Museum this memorial could have ended up in a skip - hence the importance of Friends Of War Memorials & the National Inventory of War Memorials - we live in a country where nothing is sacred anymore - in my own town (March, Cambs) there has been several moves to have the war memorial moved because it prevents the easy movement of traffic

All The Best

Chris

When I was a very young child I remember that the end of each street of houses in the area of Manchester we lived at the time, had a large Plaque with the names of all the men in that street who had died in the Great War. Sadly I think that most of these memorials have dissappeared for ever, the areas that they refered to were either destroyed during WW2 or in the clearances after the war when new houses were built.

If my memory serves me right some were very picturesqe, with regimental flags and drums around the edges, and on variouse anniversaries there were often flower's or ribbons decorating the plaques presumably placed there by families who had lost someone in the conflict. Now most have gone forever, how sad!!

Len

But the fact remains that no one owns the vast majority of War Memorials in the thousands of small villages and towns around the UK, and as a direct result, these are the ones that fall into disrepair or simply vanish.

This is not the case in Scotland where under Scots Law regardles of how they were erected, usually by Public Subscription, the memorial is owned by whoever owns the land it sits upon. Most are in cemeteries or on land now owned by the Local Authority or are " vested " to them. Some remain in private hands. Local authorities have powers under the War Memorials Act, 1923 ( and as later amended) to maintain them. Getting them to use these powers is another matter in some cases.