Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Research for proposed new book

salesie

Hi, I'm starting to research a propsed new book I hope to write about the life (and works) of Great War poet Robert Ernest Vernede, and would be extremely grateful if any of you could provide any information, no matter how small, either documentary or anecdotal, about this man. He enlisted in the 19th Royal Fusiliers in 1914 and was later commissioned into the Rifle Brigade; killed whilst leading his platoon in an attack on Havrincourt Wood, April 9th 1917.

Cheers - salesie.

Can only add that he was educated at St Paul's School and St John's College, Oxford. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot about him - so your proposed opus could become the definitive work! Good luck with it.

adrianjohn

www.writerseye.co.uk

I know this is a dumb thing to suggest, but just try doing a "Google" search on the Internet, and you will come up with a number of hits that may provide you with some useful source material. There seemed to be quite a bit there.

Kind regards,

Paul

It's not a dumb suggestion at all! I would think that Salesie has probably tried that route, and although there are a good number of hits,

no sites have very much detail. Most have only one or two lines. None of my reference books - and I have a fair few! - mention him. And I find that quite strange. Perhaps Salesie will enlighten us!

cheers. adrianjohn

www.writerseye.co.uk

An anthology of war poets - or the Internet - should supply basic biographical information.

From what I've read I understand that the Royal Fusiliers enlisted him having mistakenly recorded his age as 35 (he was 39 when war broke out).

He was wounded in 1916 and returned to France after a spell in hospital in Oxford.

He was well known before the war as a novelist, and apparently was a friend of GK Chesterton.

Thanks for replying, Guys. From a research point of view, Vernede was proving to be something of an enigma; had the basic information about him but nothing in depth about his life, hence my appeal in this thread. However, unbeknown to me when I posted my request, there was already an ongoing thread about the man on this very site, and this other thread has almost certainly turned out to be the key that opens the door.

Cheers - salesie.

Good result for you, Salesie! I took a look at the thread and was amazed at the info. that Andy has gathered. That's the beauty of the Forum - someone, somewhere is bound to have some knowledge to share.

Put me down for a copy! Signed of course.

adrianjohn

www.writerseye.co.uk