Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFR/CH/B/1153

smiths565

hello everybody :)

can anybody tell me what the letters and numbers mean - (RFR/CH/B/1153). H.M.S. "Cressy."

Name: BURNAND, LEONARD

Initials: L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Navy

Unit Text: (RFR/CH/B/1153). H.M.S. "Cressy."

Date of Death: 22/09/1914

Service No: 149707

Thanks in advance

Robert.

It is his official number in the Royal Fleet Reserve (minus the RFR prefix).

This was the unit into which ex-regulars were sent upon the completion of their naval service (usually 5 or 7 years after a Short Service engagement or up to age 50 for men who served 12yrs plus.

Ch - equals Chatham Port Division of the RFR. Much documentation will show their RFR number and former regular naval number. (You will note RN service number at bottom of CWGC list. From this you can usually determine when he joined RN.)

His rank, age and service aboard Cressey is unsurprising for a member of the RFR: probably left the RN at age 40 - or thereabouts - after 22yrs' adult service and was recalled subsequently from the RFR on 2 August 1914 and posted to help man this reserve ship.

This ship was lost alongside Hogue and Aboukir in the Channel: they remained there in error and were sunk by a U-boat that couldn't believe its luck.

Richard

Many thanks Richard.

Very interesting. This information gives me a lot to research.

Thanks again

Cheers

Robert :)

No problems, Robert.

Some more information:

RN number - 149707 - would indicate he first joined RN in 1889. Therefore, he joined aged 20 and doubtless served until 1911, being recalled in 1914.

You can get his service info. very easily. If you want details please leave a post. Perhaps even Sudan, Boer or China war service?

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

The B indicates his second period of enlistment in the RFR. If I recall correctly 99% of RFR LSGCs should have a B in the recipients number as they would have had to have serve into a second term to earn the medal. That said I have seen examples with an A where previous service was allowed to count towards the RFR LSGC.

Rgds,

Alex.

Interesting about the B prefix.

In that case, he probably served for 12 years in the RN and subsequently retained in the RFR. (Many signed on for a further 10 years with the RN to earn the long service pension; others left after their initial CS commitment.)

Richard