Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sad to see

Anthony Bagshaw

Found this grave whilst walking around the cemetery on Nottingham Road, Mansfield.

Very sad to see. Not strictly a war grave but can anything be done?

post-2154-1119962342.jpg

This is a private grave and so nothing can be done legally without the owner's permission.

If permission for renovation from the relatives cannot be gained due to them now being unknown, the cemetery authority may give permission. You could then pay a monumental mason to undertake the work.

To be honest, though sad to see, I have seen far worse. See below.. (and this is a war grave - CWGC replacement stone ordered)

post-19-1119962997.jpg

Thanks Terry,

just what i thought.

I know there are memorials a lot worse but this one caught my eye, especially the line that states he died of wounds received in 1916, some 17 years later.

Poor chap, no harm in seeing if anything could be done.

Poor chap, no harm in seeing if anything could be done.

No harm Anthony, but having seen many such stones over Cumbria, unfortunately it's just a question of finance( and obtaining permission), but mainly the cost of putting these matters right. It is a shame, a crying shame.

Anthony

If you haven't already done so might I suggest you contact the British War memorial Project. They will want a copy of the photo if it isn't already in the database. It is just that sort of headstone that needs recording before it is totally obliterated. They might even ask you to complete that cemetery for them.

Garth

I have the greatest sympathy for men like George who suffered pain for 17 years. Men like him were probably the most unfortunate casualties of the war. Is anything else known about him? Phil B

Garth,

Thanks for your post. I might contact the project, i am already a volunteer so i will see what they say.

It is a shame, a crying shame

Spike,

Couldn't agree more with you there.

Phil B,

I know nothing about him what so ever, not even a regiment. I find the phrase ''Peace after pain'; very poignant and fills your throat with a lump. He must have suffered beyond all comprehension for so long.

Might try and see what i can find on him, might be difficult but you never know with a little help ;)

Well,

171 George Pratts on National Archives Site.........might be very difficult if not impossible!

Well,

171 George Pratts on National Archives Site.........might be very difficult if not impossible!

That said, if he was 55 when he died in Nov 1933, that means he'll have been born in 1877 or 1978, and therefore 38 or 39 when wounded in 1916. I think it's safe to say that that was the end of his War, so already there are a few facts to cross-reference. Hmmm... SWB look-up, anyone...?

... Very sad to see. Not strictly a war grave but can anything be done?

Is this really so sad? The stone does not seem to be overgrown or damaged. It is a 70-year-old stone that looks as if it has been out in the weather for 70 years. It would be nice if everything was pristine but time passes, entropy increases.

Is this really so sad? The stone does not seem to be overgrown or damaged. It is a 70-year-old stone that looks as if it has been out in the weather for 70 years. It would be nice if everything was pristine but time passes, entropy increases.

This is the case Clive, but then surely the recent repairs to the Thiepval Memorial would not have gone ahead- time passes, surely.

I think the point Anthony is making, is that it would be nice to look after ALL- in perpetuity, regardless of time's passing.They also sacrificed, it would be nice in an ideal world, they also should have perpetual care

I think the point Anthony is making, is that it would be nice to look after ALL- in perpetuity, regardless of time's passing

Spike,

that's it, thank you.

There is a big difference between the Thiepval Memorial and this private headstone.

The former has an entity to maintain it. CWGC owns it and is legally charged with its upkeep. Unfortunately, the latter stone is private property with, apparently, nobody left to care for it - or at least, nobody left who cares or has the resources to care for it (or even the knowledge that it exists).

It would be nice if all headtsones (not just war related ones) could be maintained forever but it is a sad fact of life (or death) that most will not be.

There is a big difference between the Thiepval Memorial and this private headstone.

The former has an entity to maintain it. CWGC owns it and is legally charged with its upkeep. Unfortunately, the latter stone is private property with, apparently, nobody left to care for it - or at least, nobody left who cares or has the resources to care for it (or even the knowledge that it exists).

It would be nice if all headtsones (not just war related ones) could be maintained forever but it is a sad fact of life (or death) that most will not be.

I totally agree Terry and do understand the difference

Thank you