Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Graves vs. No Known Grave

Stephen Nulty

Just a quick query following a discussion in the pub.

There are many memorials to the missing (Menin Gate, Tyne Cot, etc.), showing many, many thousands of names.

Are the any figures (even just approximations) of the numbers of men recorded on these memorials as having no known grave and also the number of actual graves which hold an unidentified occupant?

I realise that the number of missing will vastly exceed the number of unidentified, but was curious as to the actual numbers (or as near as is known).

Many thanks

S

Terry

Many thanks for that. Not sure how I missed that thread !! Perhaps I was working !

Your figure of 143440 is exactly what I was trying to find out. Hope I don't start another discussion like the one you linked to

Regards

Stephen Nulty

Steve,

In the thread Terry referred to I mentioned approx. (almost ?) 50.000 men (British) who have no grave (not even an unknown) grave in the Salient. (Just subtracting the approx. number of existing Unknown graves from the total of names on Menin Gate and Tyne Cot Memorial panels.)

These following figures might be a bit more accurate (dating from 1988 however, for the whole of Belgium, and for both WW1 and 2)

Belgium 204.810 CWGC men

WW1 : 194.718 (among them approx. 175.000 Ypres Salient)

WW2 : 10.092

Of these 204.810 :

- known grave : 102.456 (= 50%)

- missing : 102.354 names on the Missing memorials. Of these : 48.491 have a grave Known unto God (47,3%), the rest only have a name on the Memorial. (So as I said, more than 50% (for all of Belgium and both wars, but the proportion must be approx. the same for Ypres WW1.)

Aurel

Aurel

Thanks for the information, which is very sobering.

Steve

Steve,

There is something you have to explain.

First you start (in your opening post) about "discussions in a pub".

Then in a reply to Terry you write : "Perhaps I was working".

Then I add a posting, and ... 3 minutes later there is a reply from you.

My question : what exactly are you doing : spending your time in pubs, or working, or ... ? :rolleyes:

And maybe "spending time in a pub" is "working" too ?

Aurel

Aurel

You know me too well!!!

I was in the pub last night as it was pub quiz night, hence my original question, which came up in a conversation I had. Actually I will be in the pub again tonight because I became an uncle for the 15th time at 6.30 this morning and there is some head-wetting to be done !!

I said "Perhaps I was working" because now that I am working for the NHS instead of the Criminal Records Bureau, I actually have a lot of work to do....Really !!

Our current web site is www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk

Because I am so busy working, I don't have as much time for visiting the forum, although today I am "working from home", so have a full time internet connection.

Spending time in the pub is indeed work, and very hard work too. I can recommend it.

Best wishes

Steve

(1) (...) Actually I will be in the pub again tonight because I became an uncle for the 15th time at 6.30 this morning and there is some head-wetting to be done !!

(2) I said "Perhaps I was working" because now that I am working for the NHS instead of the Criminal Records Bureau, I actually have a lot of work to do....Really !!

(3) Because I am so busy working, I don't have as much time for visiting the forum, although today I am "working from home", so have a full time internet connection.

(4) Spending time in the pub is indeed work, and very hard work too.

Steve

Steve,

(1) I'm sure you encourage your brothers and sisters (in law) to have as many children as possible.

(2) What a nice and original way to say that there are more sick people in the UK than criminals.

(3) Yes I noticed it must have been a busy spell, for it took you 18 minutes to reply this time !

(4) Hard work ? Absolutely ! For the publican. If you are in the pub.

(5) I didn't add any smileys, because doing that I would have exceeded the limit.

(6) Sorry to other Forum members for going off Topic.

Aurel

When you contemplate the 143,000 plus men (and women no doubt) who literally passed from the sight of men to the ultimate extent, it makes you thank heaven for those who had the vision to establish the IWGC, complete its titanic task and create the magnificent framework of Remembrance we are blessed with today.

They brought these poor unfortunate people back into the family of man and assured them of honour and Remembrance in perpetuity.