Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte L/10061 Thomas James Highgate

Andrew Marshall

Hi All

I have a deep interest in local stories and so when I have seen previously mentioned reference to the fact that Pte Thomas Highgate (who was the first soldier to be shot for desertion during the war) was born in Gravesend I wanted to confirm this or at least find out more.

I have applied for his death certificate and birth certificate (fairly confident that I have the correct one) and here is what I have discovered.

Thomas Highgate is listed as only Thomas on his birth certificate he was born on the 13th May 1895 at Oxbourne Farm, Shoreham. His father was named John James Highgate and was a general labourer. His mother was Alice Highgate formely Nuttley. They were all living at Oxbourne Farm, Shoreham and Thomas was registered on the 14th June 1895 in the registration district of Sevenoaks, Kent.

The death certificate confirms his service number, rank, full name Thomas James Highgate age 19, country of birth England, date of death 8th September 1914 place of death France, cause of death KILLED IN ACTION.

So, all please note that Thomas Highgate was not born in Gravesend but in Shoreham.

The only reason for this posting is to correct an error and not to continue the debate about those shot at dawn.

The new Soldiers Died in the Great War shows him born in Shoreham and enlisted in Guildford, Surrey and resident in Catford. So I have no idea where the Gravesend connection entered into it!

Regards

Andrew

post-385-1119906139.jpg

Andrew

I have his service records, and also on a very early thread there is a photo of Shoreham war memorial with a space left on it so the Parish Council can add his name only if the govt change the policy on SAD cases

John