Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Ypres German positions

Nathan Greenfield

In his history of the Reserve-Infantrie-Regiment 233, Wilhelm Brendler gives several positions occupied by German troops. Does anyone know where the following would be:

-- Stone Mill, ridge 22 North of the Hannebeak, which was occupied on April 22 at 7:15 p.m.

-- U-form Farm, taken by the 5th Company of 2nd Btl, 233rd at around 7 p.m.

Thanks,

Nathan

In his history of the Reserve-Infantrie-Regiment 233, Wilhelm Brendler gives several positions occupied by German troops.  Does anyone know where the following would be:

-- Stone Mill, ridge 22 North of the Hannebeak, which was occupied on April 22 at 7:15 p.m.

--  U-form Farm, taken by the 5th Company of 2nd Btl, 233rd at around 7 p.m.

Thanks,

Nathan

This map ,from the British O.H. shows the route of the 51st Reserve Division (of which the 233 RIR was a part) on 22nd April.

I'll see if I can find anything more detailed for this area.

Dave.

post-357-1119914619.jpg

--  U-form Farm, taken by the 5th Company of 2nd Btl, 233rd at around 7 p.m.

As an educated guess, I'd say that "U-form Farm" was known to the British as "Bulow Farm" (this farm was "U" shaped, had a "U" shaped moat and was in the direct path of the 51st R Div on April 22nd).

The only "mill" I can find in the area is what was known to the British as "White Mill" to the East of Langemark. This wasn't immediately north of the Hanebeek (but neither was any of the captures of this division on this day - the Hanebeek being to the east and south of St.Julien). However, "White Mill" is to the north of "Haanixbeek Farm". Could this be it?

Dave.

Dave:

Bulow farm sounds like a good bet, but I cannot find it on either my Cnd or British map.

Can you give me more guidance?

Thanks

The only "mill" I can find in the area is what was known to the British as "White Mill" to the East of Langemark. This wasn't immediately north of the Hanebeek (but neither was any of the  captures of this division on this day - the Hanebeek being to the east and south of St.Julien). However, "White Mill" is to the north of "Haanixbeek Farm". Could this be it?

Dave.

Dave,

The river names in the Langemark - St. Julien area are an absolute puzzle. I'm sure that what is called the Hanebeek sometimes on other maps is called the Steenbeek, and that sometimes even Hanebeek is not the same as Haanixbeek (!).

Right now I am looking at a map the area south of Langemark, and as to the river flowing from east to west just south of Langemark, it is called "Steenbeek" down to the road Langemark - Pilkem - Boezinge, but then further west (downstream) the name is ... "Hanebeek". And this is not just a mistake, for I know of a German cemetery 2 km west of Langemark "bei der Haanebeeckbrücke").

I don't know about the mill east of Langemark. But there was one (and I am absolutely sure it was a stone mill, and I even have a photo of the ruins, and it looks white) 150 m north of the Steenbeek / Hanebeek, on the south east side of the road Langemark - Pilkem - Boezinge. (However, not named)

Aurel

Some information :

- Steenbeekmolen (=Stenen Molen, molen Hebben) formerly a mill made of wood, replaced in 1867 by a mill made of stone, damaged in 1915 and later on in 1917 destroyed.

- Hannixmolen (=Kapellemolen, molen Verelst)

These data do come from "Kadastergegevens .... ", written by Herman Holemans.

I hope that the above data help in solving some problems

Regards,

Gilbert Deraedt :(

Is this any help - from the German official history? The dotted blue line shows the position up to 26 April.

Regards

Simon

post-1722-1119991719.jpg

Bulow farm sounds like a good bet, but I cannot find it on either my Cnd or British map.

Bulow Farm and Haanixbeek Farm can both be seen on this extract...

Dave.

post-357-1119999288.jpg

...and the position of the "White Mill" (unnamed on German trenchmaps, but referenced as a "molen") north of Haanixbeek Farm can be seen on this extract (unfortunately, the area covered spans two 1:20,000 scale trenchmaps, so I can't put them all on one scan)...

Dave.

(PS. ignore the trenches etc, these maps are from 1917)

post-357-1119999565.jpg

Dave:

Thanks for the scan.

Which map is this. I should have a copy so that I stop asking such stupid questions.

Cheers,

Nathan

Dave:

Thanks for the scan.

Which map is this. I should have a copy so that I stop asking such stupid questions.

Cheers,

Nathan

Dave:

Thanks for the scan.

Cheers,

Nathan

Thanks for the scan.

Which map is this.  I should have a copy so that I stop asking such stupid

Nathan.

My first scan is from the British Official History, my second scan is from trenchmap "Belgium Sheet 28 NW ed.5A" and my third is from trenchmap "Belgium Sheet 20 SW ed.4" .

You can quite easily get hold of another map that shows the location of Bulow Farm, Haanixbeek Farm and White House (near "White Mill") from the WFA. This is their copy of the "Ypres League Map of the Salient" (about £6 ,I think).

Dave.

You can quite easily get hold of another map that shows the location of Bulow Farm, Haanixbeek Farm and White House (near "White Mill") from the WFA. This is their copy of the "Ypres League Map of the Salient"

...and a scan of the above mentioned map showing the locations...

Dave.

post-357-1120087516.jpg