Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Great War" magazine

Moonraker

I've just been glancing through the July 2005 issue of Practical Family History which announces that the 272 issues of The Great War magazine published during the war itself are available on 10CDs for £39.55 + £2.50 UK p & p. It refers one to www.genealogysupplies.com. but I've just looked at this site. admittedly not too thoroughly, but can't spot it.

It's there. Just search on the site for great war.

Oh so it is, silly me, I entered "The Great War" in the search box and got nothing.

Lets just say I have ALL the series as unbound magazines, and, when the CDs arrive, that will be a great weight from my attic!

Dave,

One of the Family History magazines has been putting extracts on its Cover Cd every month for a while. You could "try before you buy" with that if you want...

Steve.

Wonderful

Looks like lots of mags and hardback volumes will soon be up for sale.

Can anyone confirm that the scans on these CDs are pretty good - I have heard of some books being scanned onto CD and the images being poor.

Regards

Glyn

i believe that the cd is ok,i get the family tree mags and the sample editions on the giveaway cds are fine,i would rather have the mags,theres no character in a cd,cant read it on the bus or owt like that,cds have their advantages but ya cant beat looking at a shelf full of tomes,and if you happen to sit down on one of the mags,you will just crease it,sit down on the cd and thats 272 issues up the khyber :lol: bernard

Bernard, can I ask: are you stuck with all 272? If not, I suggest you have no idea what a sod it is to find what you want. They HAVE to live in my attic, and I don't! CD for me.

I don't know about this supplier but I bought the CD set of the Great War from Archive Books...

The quality of that is awful, no care has been taken in scanning the magazines. They are skewed ans even includes somebody's thumb.

If anyone gets the edition from S&N I'd be interested in the quality.

My recommendation is don't buy from Archive Books what ever you do.

zoo

I am tempted ( I have even purchased a copy of the magazine for the CD alone!) BUT I am holding fire until there are reviews of this product from S&N.

I don't know about this supplier but I bought the CD set of the Great War from Archive Books...

Is this the same company as Archive CD Books?

If so I am really surprised that the quality is poor as their census CDs are superb and vastly superior to the microfilms available at county Record Offices - I have compared pages with some I have previously copied, and the difference is amazing. Have you emailed them to complain, and seen what reply you get?

Adrian

Ive got a cd rom set from S&N & have found the quality of the reproduction to be very good. The service I received from S&N was superb the discs arriving within a week from the date of order.

All The Best

Chris

Is this the same company as Archive CD Books?

If so I am really surprised that the quality is poor as their census CDs are superb and vastly superior to the microfilms available at county Record Offices - I have compared pages with some I have previously copied, and the difference is amazing. Have you emailed them to complain, and seen what reply you get?

Adrian

Archive CD books - that's them.

It had been scanned sloppily, many pages skewed and even the operator's thumb!

I would never purchase from them again.

I did email but received no respose, actually I'd forgotten that until this thread came up.

zoo

I have two cds from Archive CD books. One of them is an excellent scan, very clear and sharp.

The other one is a complete mess, with, as you say, skewed pages and hte operators thumb. This CD they were giving away free with every order, so it may perhaps be some of their earlier CDs where they were just starting out.

Can anyone tell me whether you can do a search from the cds so that you dont have to look through all the pages ?

i have had cds off s+n and they are pretty good,the ones in family tree are done by s+n and they seem to be fine,but i have only seen about a dozen samples so i cant comment on the rest,

hello,LD,i can imagine the weight of them is worrying,i have eight different sets of ww1 books that must weigh 2cwt and thats without the weight of the other 2.500+books that i have,if i dont stop buying books,my upstairs room is gonna be a cellar :lol::lol: bernard