Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trip to Battlefields

Guest Rick F

Hello all:

I am making a week long trip at the end of July to the Normandy beaches, Ieper, the Somme, Verdun, and Compiegne. I have 'Before Endavors Fade" and have read many web sites about battlefield visits. I will be renting a car at De Gaulle airport and driving from there. My question is - what things should I be aware of that wouldn't be covered from my sources? Due to visiting from the States, time is precious and I will have to hit the main sites. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Rick

Best advice - don't try to do too much. Take a bit of time, get out and walk here and there. You won't go too far wrong with Rose Coombs in your hand!

Rick,

Sounds like you're going to be doing more driving than walking on battlefields...!!!

That's one heck of an itinerary to be attempting in only a week.

You need a helicopter, not a car to cover so much ground..!!

Far better to take on only a couple of sites, but explore them fully - first try the Somme with Paul Reeds excellent book, "Walking theSomme", then travel down towards St Quentin via Peronne and visit the American Cemetery at Bony, about 10 miles north of the town.

Then, if you've got time, go down to Verdun, and spend a couple of days there - there's so many sites to see.

I really can't see how you could visit the Normandy beaches and Compienge as well.

Drive carefully in France - I go there 3 or 4 times a year, and I always encounter a speed trap on every visit - but i've never yet been caught - i'm told that they take great delight in booking us foreigners.. so beware..!!!

Rob.

Rob:

Yep, I have a lot planned in a short time - blame it on the short US vacations and the distance involved. I clearly won't be able to spend hours roaming a field, but will have to hit the high points and at least get a feel for things. In case you or anyone else is interested, here is my basic itinary:

Arrive Sat morning Paris

Drive to Caen - Sat and Sunday at Normandy beaches with Maj Holt's guide

Monday - drive to Ieper, see sights there Mon aft and Tuesday day

Tuesday - drive to Amiens, see Somme sights

Wed - drive to Reims for Verdun

Thursday - Verdun and ??

Friday - thinking about Armistace sites and possibly Paris

Leave Sat afternoon.

I am using the ViaMichelin site for driving directions and have Michelin maps as well. I'm pretty efficient on trips - up early, short lunches on the move all the time. Any tips are very much appreicated from you old vets!

I really can't see how you could visit the Normandy beaches and Compienge as well.

Believe me. You can! (major sights only and no "in depth" study)

Dave.

Any tips are very much appreicated from you old vets!

Aim for it (the ww1 bits) in reverse Rick.

Caen, Soissons, Reims, Verdun then work your way up the front leapfrogging Reims,heading direct for St.Quentin , Somme, Ypres then hightail it to Paris. It's a much smoother run. (Did it myself a few years back).

Dave.

Dave:

That's a very interesting suggestion. My original plan was indeed to start at Verdun then up to Ieper and around to Normandy. Changed it because I wanted to finish up in the Paris region (compigne) for easier getaway day routine and more or less following up the routes in Before Endavors Fade. As I have not driven on the Continent before, I am concerned about driving, getting lost, etc so want to follow map routes pretty firmly. Why do you advise I take the south to north route? Thanks.

Rick

"I am concerned about driving, getting lost, etc..."

Rick,

Two inputs;

Rent a car with a navigation system--you'll never regret it for your first time in France and with the schedule you have.

You're going on a whirlwind tour, perhaps trying to see too much. I'm not suggesting you change your plans, just suggesting it's a lot to see in that amount of time. :)

Paul

Provided you plan your route in advance you should have no problems with the French road system. The motorways and main routes are well sign posted and easy to follow. It can get confusing in the towns and the motorways around some cities (Paris, Lille) can be a nightmare. Be aware that if you speed along the motorways from one toll (peage) to another they can do you for speeding as your ticket is timed stamped!

If you are driving around Paris decide on you route and dont deviate from it ! As for the Peripherique, others will tell you not to use it but I have done so many times and have found it the best way to get around inner Paris.

I also agree the south to north would be the better option.

Have a good trip

Patrick

Why do you advise I take the south to north route?

Because of the fast and very direct motorway than goes, basically, from Normandy to Verdun (it can be a bit of a drag driving from Normandy to Ieper). You can set off from Normandy ,after your visit, in the morning and still have enough time to get in some of the sights of either the Champagne battlefields or Verdun in the afternoon if you do it this way.

Dave.