Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7 Sherwood Foresters 1.7.16

Tony N

Hello,

Does anyone know the name of the trench (or general area today) from where the 1/7 Sherwood Foresters (46th Division) started their attack on Gommecourt 1st July 1916?

I’ll be on the Somme soon and would like to visit the spot.

Thanks

Tony

Tony.

Gommecourt. from the history of the 8th Bn., " The attack by the 46th Division was to be carried out with two Brigades Staffords and Sherwood Foresters.........

The 139th Brigade (Foresters) on the left was to attack between the northern edge of Gommecourt Wood and the "Little Z". the 5th Bn., on the right and the 7th on the left. "

If you go into Foncquevillers Village , turn right, I think about half way up the street then another right down a lane it should bring you out onto a farm track which overlooks Gommecourt Wood, there are three or four Poplars which I believe mark the extreme end of the Somme attack. Sorry I cannot be more specific its a long time since I visited the place.

Good luck Cliff.

Thanks very much Cliff, I have a map with Little Z on it so now know the area to go to.

Cheers

Tony

Don't if this is any use but attached is a Michelin Blue Series map with a 1916 trench map superimposed. Not greatest quality (original is 40 Megs!) but may be useful.

post-49-1119805654.jpg

Everything is helpful.

Thanks very much.

Tony

• 1 month later...

I was actually at Gommecourt as this thread began, so I've only just noticed it!

This must be Tony 'Sid Dore' N I'm talking to? If so, welcome aboard, and I'll be sending you lots of pics as soon as I get myself sorted. Anyway here's one as a taster, which links nicely to Cliff's very clear description of where to go.

Imagine being on Bill's map above, go from Fonquevillers on the Z Road, and the position of the photograph is roughly from the letter 'd' in Z Road, looking down the road towards the Little Z (i.e. through the two modern trees).

post-150-1123181680.gif

Second: taken from near the jumping off point of the 1/7th (extreme right-flank - in fact possibly from the left of the 1/5th). The attack went over the field ahead with the German trench on the horizon (where the three bushes are). The photo distorts reality somewhat as the horizon looks further away than it actually is and, secondly, it flattens what is a significant dip in the land before a steep rise to the German lines.

Anyway this is the field where our Sid met his end. I'll get the full set of pictures to you a.s.a.p.

post-150-1123182053.gif

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the welcome! It was actually the words Little Z that took me to your own site.

I'm really looking forward to the pics and I know I will want to get back to the Somme after seeing them.

Tony