Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Class Z Reserve

6th Shropshires

Hi

Does anyone know when Class Z Reserve started. Up until today all the Class Z I have found in 14-15 Star medal roll were all 1919 but today I have found two that are 1918. The first 4-4-18 could be a mistake ? The other is 3-12-18.

Thanks in advance

Annette

Annette

From the Long Long Trail and quoted in it's entirety-

Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life, but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.

I, like you, have found the majority of 'my men' were discharged to Class Z in 1919 although I have found one exception for 30 March 1920.

Steve

Hi Steve

Now why did'nt I look at the Long Long Trail :unsure:

So the date 4-4-18 is a mistake for sure, and my 3-12-18 chap must have one of the very first to join Class Z Reserve.

Thanks

Annette

Not a WW1 question, I know, but does anyone know when the Z class reserve was re-instigated?

Hello All,

Is this the answer you're looking for?

"Owning to the possibility of an emergency re-mobilization becoming necessary, it was regarded as undesirable that men should be finally discharged from the Army on their demobilization. Such a course would have rendered it practically impossible to recall men to the Colours in case of emergency. A new "Class Z" of the Reserve was established by Army Order of the 3rd December 1918, into which all men released from service with the Colours were passed on expiration of their demobilization furlough with the exception of soldiers on Territorial Force engagements and those finally dischaged in accordance with recognized practice."

Graham.

Is this the answer you're looking for?

Not the one I'm looking for, Graham. (Researching the circumstances behind the death of my dad's neighbour - a WW2 veteran and "Z-man" in Korea). Any idea when it was re-instigated - 1939?, 1940?, 1944? 1945? - I've no idea!

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave,

I do not know either, but I would hazard a guess at whenever conscription was brought back in again for WW2? My father went on Z reserve after WW2 service and was called up again for Korea.

Ian

Dave

I can't say for definite when the Class Z Reserve was officially re-introduced, but I can say for sure that men were being transferred to it in 1946. Logically, sometime after May 1945 would seem about right.

Terry Reeves

Terry's Logic sounds about right, I was demobbed in June 1947 after 4 years service, found out in April 1951 that I was in the "Z" reserve when I was called up for two weeks for refresher/ retraining. As I understood it you were liable for call up within 5 years of demobilisation. I was not aware that any "Z" reserve men were sent to Korea, National Service Men, poor sods, were sent.

Regards Cliff.

I was not aware that any "Z" reserve men were sent to Korea,

Thanks for the answers.

Cliff, this particular guy's luck had really run out in 1951. He went to France in late 1939, was evacuated near Dunkirk in 1940 after being in one of the "rearguards", fought throughout the rest of the war ,unscathed, in various theatres and came home in (I think) mid 1946.

My dad (a National Serviceman at the time)was surprised to see him arrive with his unit in Korea. Unfortunately they didn't get chance to talk for long - after surviving 6 years of WW2, he was dead within 2 weeks of arriving in Korea :( .

Dave.