Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hooge

zijde26

Recently, I saw a picture giving as capture " Poperinghe - Hooge " . Was it a mistake ? Can anyone give more information on this ' Hooge ' ?

Gilbert Deraedt

Gilbert,

My first thought : an error of course. We normally associate "Hooge" with the Bellewaarde area (Menin Road), east of Ypres.

Is there a Hooge near Poperinge ? No idea. However, I would not be surprised. It's only natural that if an area has a location a bit higher than the rest, that people called it "Ho(o)ge". Even here in Boezinge we have a street (hamlet) called 't Hoge.

What does the picture show ? If trenches or a battlefield, then it must be an error.

Any indication ?

Aurel

What does the picture show ? If trenches or a battlefield, then it must be an error.

Not necessarily. There were trenches in the Poperinge area of 1918.

However, I can't find any reference to a "Hooge" on any of the Poperinge maps (28NW, 27NE) of 1918.

But, as Aurel states, "hooge" could mean a "High Place" that isn't named on a map, being a local name only (unfortunately, I'm not all that familiar with the local Poperingse).

Dave.

Thanks for the postings.

My first thought by reading the capture was also, " it's a mistake " (I am not always very happy with the given captures).

A lot of places (ex. Cafes,...) can be called 'Hooge'.... (in Reninghelst (coming from Poperinge) there is also a place called ' De Hoogte', .... )

The picture shows a slightly climbing street with a cyclist.

It shows a way between trees full of leaves (summertime ?) on fore- (only left side) and backgound (both sides). Both sides of the way do have some houses.

A quiet and peaceful picture, no trenches or something similar.

Gilbert Deraedt B)

gilbert,

i receive the information from an old inhabitant (°1926) of poperinge.

"indeed, the hamlet 't Hooge is situated on the way Poperinge-Proven (Provenseweg) at the junction with the way to Watou (Watouseweg).

Before the second WW, there was a pub on the streetcorner with the name "in 't Hoge""

distance from the market place of poperinge: +/- 1 km to the west

with pleasure

marc

Gilbert,

I can confirm what Marc said. (Good for him !)

That's where it is (was) indeed. It's even marked on a modern IGN map (as "Hoge"). Sorry I overlooked it the first time.

(Distance from Poperinge centre maybe a bit more than what Marc said : 1.7 km)

Aurel

A lot of thanks to Marc.

Gilbert Deraedt :D

That's where it is (was) indeed. It's even marked on a modern IGN map (as "Hoge").

...and on the old ones (sort of)!!! (whoops! :unsure: ).

This is from July 1918 (the only edition of the map that shows trenches in the area)....

Dave.

post-357-1120264598.jpg

Dave,

I wonder what it is, but there is something that makes you spot a location with an Inn faster than anybody else.

And so near Poperinge, that must be Hommelbier ! But instead of that you point out the trenches ! ;)

Aurel

aurel, there is even still a marker at Hoge near Pops...

It is at the Roundabout with the road to Pops, Watou and Proven.

But you possibly know this already?