Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calais to Thiepval.

Bob Coulson

Couple from my local asked me to track down a relatives details which I duly did.

He has NKG and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

They intend to pay their respects in August and have asked for a route from Calais and the nearest "large town to stay in"

My battlefield trips have always been on guided tours so I'm useless at roads and routes.

Could someone oblige with some recommendations?

Many Thanks

Bob.

Bob - From Calais, follow signs for A26 towards Arras, Paris.

Stay on the A26 and look out for Juction 7 - the one signposted Vimy. You have to switch motorways at the next exit after that.

Near to Arras, look out for signs to "Arras Est, Paris" and follow these signs to switch to the A1 motorway, still following the signs for Paris to keep you in the correct lane.

Leave the A1 at Junction 14 signposted Bapaume.

From the motorway follow signs for the D929 leading to Albert and Amiens.

There are a few roundabouts to negotiate on the new section of road which bypasses Bapaume, but keep following the signs for Albert.

When you reach the D929 it's the unmistakeable straight road from Bapaume to Albert. Head for Albert and you will pass through the village of Le Sars. The next village is Pozieres, where there is a signpost near the centre of the village pointing out the right turn to Thiepval. You will already be able to see the Memorial before you get to Pozieres.

Recommendations for hotels I leave to others as I always stay in B&Bs.

Tom

Bob,

Nearest "Large Town" to stay in is Amiens, plenty to see and do there, lots of character, and about a 40 minute drive from Thiepval.

Absolutely essential to get a good guide book to the area, but try not to cram too much in on a short visit.

Many Hotels to choose from, my favourite budget hotel is the B&B Hotel on the ring road around the town, it wouldn't suit everbody if you're after 5 star service with Haute Cuisine, but at 36 Euro's per room per night, I reckon it's good value, and so do the Frenchies, because it's full most nights i've been there.

http://www.hotel-bb.com/index.phtml?NumLangue=2#

Rob.