Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry's War

Guest clive morris

Guest clive morris

I have just been given a book called Harry's War (Experiences in the Suicide Club in World War One) by Harry Stinton/Virginia Mayo. I'm finding the book very compelling and readable as a social commentary, especially as primer for younger generations.

However, I am becoming sceptical about how much is the actual writing of Harry how much has been 'added' For example, the is a comment about concern in 1914 about air raids on London. Also, how could Harry write so much during his campaign? I was under the impresion that diaries were frowned upon if not outlawed.

Can anyone throw more light on this book and its background?

Good question Clive. I recently acquired it too.

Like you I am finding it very readable, but as 47th Division nut, also frustrating for the reasons you mention. I think the illustrations are great, and it is certainly an excellent introduction to the subject for younger readers. Virginia Mayo's background as a children's writer and illustrator show in its presentation.

The introduction states that "He made a record of his daily service life in the trenches in a diary". After being wounded in Sept 1917 he "promptly bought a notebook and set to write. This account of his experiences in the Great War is a combination of his own diaries with drawings done on the spot, and his later reminiscences." She later adds "he wrote his diary as a continuous train of thought without paragraphs, dates, headings or chapters...."

Unfortunately there is no way of telling what is diary and what is a reminiscence, and the extent to which editorial influence has been brought to Harry's words. Personally I prefer to be told what is what so I can make up my own mind. Without this I inevitably (and perhaps unfairly) see its value as a historical source being lessened.

The lack of dates is particularly annoying - they would have been easy enough to add in from the 7th London War Diary. She has already added subheadings in any case, so why not add dates to these?

Some endnotes where events/people/casualties etc. have been cross checked against the 7th London and 47 Div histories and War Diaries would have been useful, and would have prevented the flow of the story - which I guess make it appeal to younger readers - being constantly broken by the heavier going of paragraphs of historical context.

Keeping diaries was in theory not allowed, but fortunately for us this rule appears to have been frequently ignored.

Guest clive morris

Thanks Charles

I'm glad that there is someone out there who shares my appreciation of the book and my concerns.

As time passes it is even more valuable to have books like this produced. The details of the campaigns become less important in comparison to the questions of why young men went to war with so much passion and without question. I've just read All Quiet On The Home Front and although this is also a generalised book it does give insights into the mood of the country at the time and the anti German feelings from the beginning of the century.

I suppose that ultimate step is to write to Virginia Mayo

Virginia Mayo gave a talk to the Cambs Branch WFA (she is a member) when the book came out. If I recall correctly she was given the exercise book containing Harry's writings and drawings. I don't think his original diary exists, only his full account.

Cliff Brown, chair, Cambs WFA

My comments notwithstanding, it is essential reading if you are interested in the Shiny Seventh and/or the 47th Division, and worth it on its own merits for Harry's pictures. I have been reading it with the history of the 7th alongside. From my point of view my enjoyment of the account would be enhanced with the addition of a few more notes from the editor e.g.

A. p.127 a Brigadier is mentioned - I assume this is GOC 140 Bde Brig-Gen GJ Cuthbert CB CMG, Scots Guards

B. in the chapter on the Somme the attacks on High Wood (Flers Courcelette) and the Flers Line/Butte de Warlencourt (Le Transloy) appear to have been run one after the other, when in reality they were distinct phases of the battle. The Division was heavily reinforced after High Wood, and a note to this effect and on the 1/7th casualties would have been helpful.

Although I know I'm a pedant, point B. does illustrate a problem that I have with reminiscences written long after the event (and also with oral history) - separate episodes can end up being run together and in the wrong order, producing a 'stream of consciousness' type account. They can be as valuable as other sources, but need to be treated with particular care and constantly checked.

I also recommend reading it alongside another excellent account of the 'Shiny Seventh' - "The Long Carry: The War Diary of Stretcher Bearer Frank Dunham 1916-18" eds RH Haigh and PW Turner (pub 1970) which covers Dunham's service with the same battalion from April 1916 to Jan 1918. This is presented in a diary format, with an entry for each day. In the introduction the editors say that "some four years later" Dunham expanded "this record into a more detailed journal".

It sounds from Cliff's note as if Harry must have done a similar thing, but without adding in daily subheadings. Of the two accounts I find Dunham's more reliable - I have checked the second half in which he served with the 1/19th Londons from late Jan to after the Armistice against other sources and it is very reliable (an excellent account of the March Retreat). I guess this is the advantage of Dunham having been alive when his account was edited.