Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help explaining MICs please- reposted

KevW

Can somebody explain the embs part of these MICs and generally please, i know the obvious stuff ie numbers, medals etc.

But am unsure of a lot of details

Any help would be much appreciated

There are 3.

post-7366-1119688394.jpg

Kev,

Although at first glance it appears that the two MICs are to the same man the evidence offered by them does not lead me to believe that this is the case:

1) Despite the name and Regiment being the same, the ranks and Regimental numbers are not the same:

MIC (1)

Rank = Private

Initial Regt No. = 1754

Post re-numbering = 265089

MIC (2)

Rank = Colour Sergeant

Initial Regt No. = 25

Post re-numbering = 265008

2) Dates of Entry are not the same:

MIC (1)

Theatre = unspecified

Date = 26.5.16 (and unusual that a date post 1915 is given)

MIC (2)

Theatre = (1) France

3) The medals awarded are not consistent:

MIC (1)

British War and Victory medals

Territorial Force War Medal

MIC (2)

1915 Star

British War and Victory medals

A Territorial soldier could not be awarded both a Star and a Territorial Force War medal - he would receive the Star if he qualified for it, and the TFWM if not.

I believe that unless there has been some horrendous clerical error, and however unlikely it seems that there should be two men named "Francis C. Williams" in the Gloucestershire Regiment (Territorial Force), these are TWO DIFFERENT men.

As for the emblems for MIC (2) I can only assume that this man was also Mentioned in Despatches and the emblems refer to the issue of the MID oakleaf.

Hope this is not bad news!

Steve

Hi steve, my fault for not making it clear.

one is my grandad the other is my great grandad.

Both had the same name.

Both served in the same reg. at the same time.

I pretty much know the numbers and the medals awarded it is the emblems that i am stuck on.

As i have access to both of their medals, If you want to take a look they are on my post under the 1/6th glosters.

The MID's i cant work out.

Thanks for your input.

Kev.

• 3 months later...

Hi thought i would ask about these again with some specific questions.

Can someone please help, as i can't seem to find this out anywhere.

On the first MIC what is the notation to the right of Date of Entry 26.5.16, looks like A8/L/1804 ???

On the second MIC are there two different Mentions in Dispatches. One 10/5/20 and one 1/2/29?? as he was discharged in 1924??

And finally, and what i cannot find no matter where i look.

What does NW/9/1919 mean on both MICs and the second one has a (1) above it.

I am sure some of you wonderful experts on this forum know the answers to these questions.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Kev. :D

Kev,

The notation NW/9/1919 is similar to that found on a significant proportion of MICs. It is simply a nameless clerk's notation for some administrative action taken on the soldier's file. Although I have never thought of doing it myself with any of the MICs/papers in my collection, it may be possible to find such a cross reference on any surviving papers. I don't think that it is possible to attach any particular significance to it though. The reasons for the search are numerous, with pension entitlement being the first that springs to mind.

Regards

Steve

Kev,

Checked my records of the Glos Regt and came across the following which may be of interest - I have no other info at all on your relatives.

265008/25 1/6 Glos Regt

MSM 1/1/19

MID 30/5/18

MID for distinguished service in Italy (Glos Journal? 1/6/18). Died February 1959 at Bristol aged 89. Enlisted in the Bristol Rifles (4 Glos TA) in 1889. Transferred to 6 Glos Regt in 1907 and served with them through WW1. Finally discharged in 1924 after 35 years service as a volunteer and territorial. Three of his sons have served in the Regiment. (Back Badge Summer 1959)

265089/1754 - enlisted in Bristol in 1st quarter of 1912 in 1/6 Glos Regt.

Promenade

Thank you for that, i thought the notations might be clerical, was unsure as they are both the same.

Thanks for looking promenade.

Kev.