Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Images of the Palestine Campaign

gcwilson

Just a cross posting. I've listed a site in the 'Document Repository' forum (topic name: Palestine Photographic Collection) - this contains a number of interesting images - details are provided in that posting.

(this is for those of us who fail to check every forum on a regular basis)

GCW

Well done GCW and many thanks for the link

I am slowly working my way through it on an occasional basis; 4600+ images!!!

By the way, they are not all of Palestine, but include Egypt, Lebanon and Syria, so it is well worth a look even if your interest is outside of Palestine

This is one of my favourites so far – the 1920 Jerusalem Riot Squad

Thanks again

Michael D.R.

post-386-1119886117.jpg

Thanks,

The quick link to the collection is:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/matpcquery.html

I suspect that American neutrality enabled these very skilled photographers to circulate rather freely so there are images from both sides.

It is a large collection and working through it takes a bit of time.

GCW

• 2 weeks later...

GCW,

Once again many thanks for recommending this site

It really is a treasure trove which I will continue to return to from time to time

Below is a remarkable and early photograph of the Jerusalem CWGC Cemetery at Mount Scopus. It appears to show children dressing or decorating the crosses

Do you or anyone know anything about such a custom? Would it be for Palm Sunday perhaps?

What ever it is exactly that the children are doing, it certainly make a wonderful picture.

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-386-1120935360.jpg

Michael,

Sorry I can't provide any more detail. There are a number of views of the Cemetery over a twenty year period. I have been unable to locate an original catalogue listing for the collection and many of the captions have been generated by the Library of Congress staff. For example, another photograph at Mt Scopus is described as 'Man digging with shovel as others watch, probably at tree planting ceremony during Winston Churchill visit, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem'. The 'Man' is 'The Man'.

GCW