Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika

bobpike

I trying to organise a personal visit next June & wondered if Pals could help. please?

Accommodation - I know the Rodges' tour stay at the Hotel Philippion, but it looks very 'international,' are there more ethnic suggestions? (By that I do NOT mean cheap!).

Lemnos - I presume the viable way to visit is by Olympic Airlines, staying overnight?

Doiran Memorial & Cemetery. It has been suggested to me that this is difficult because it is now in Macedonia, but CWGC site mentions nothing to suggest problems?

Any useful 'tips' would be much appreciated, as well as graves of interest & other things to see, both Great War & otherwise.

Any news on a BE Guide in preparation?

Thank You,

Bob Pike

Alan Wakefield, Simon Moody and Andrew Whitmarsh wrote a very helpful article in the defunct Battlefields Review which you should get. Can't tell what issue. I can copy and mail if you like.

They mention in Thessalonika is Telioni, English spoken, 031 527 825 , 16 Aghiou Dimitirou, in Dorian Greek part Hotel Doriani, FYROM Hotel Mlaz, in Kiklis between the 2 towns Evridiki reserve@evridiki.lar.forthnet.gr

Hi Bob,

The Doiran memorial on Colonial Hill, and the cemetary at Doiran are actually in Greece not Macedonia. They are only about 1/2 mile from the border. I used to visit the area regulary whilst stationed in Kosovo. We would stay in the "Hotel Number One" on the shores of lake Doiran (Macedonian side). To cross the border took us between 10 mins and 45 mins, depending on how interested/lazy the border guards are. The Macedonians were generally okay but the Greeks could be a problem.

If you were coming to lake Doiran from the Greek side you would not need to cross the border into Macedonia unless you were wanting to get up onto the battlefields Jumeaux ravine, Grand Couronne etc, and then you would need a sturdy off road vehicle in which the owners wouldnt mind the paint getting scratched. The narrow off road tracks on the battlefield are covered in thick gorse. We went up with a black Isuzu trooper and came down with a silver one!!!!!

Another piece of advice is that, if you stay at a hotel on the shores of lake Doiran take the strongest anti mosquito reppellent/cream available. On my first stay I got eaten alive. They are little gits!!!!

Best regards

Iain

Paul & Iain,

This is very helpful, thank you. We intend staying in THessaloniki & touring out from there, & I presume Doiran is a feasible day-trip?

The Battlefields Review would be most helpful, if it's not too much trouble, Paul?

Bob

• 1 month later...

Bringing this one back up cause it's about a month til I leave. Hope the Greeks have some good beer, I don't care what they do to me I aint a drinkin no ouzo!

One thing I'd mention.

I helped to conduct a tour to Doiran in 2002 as part of a military tour while I was over there with NATO.

Be very careful where you tread if you do visit the Macedoniam side of the theatre.

1. Because it's right on the border and the Macedonian Army can get narky about where you go, remember it's a border area.

2. The area is still littered with unexpolded ordnance, including gas shells.

3. As mentioned, it's extremely rough terrain and if you get as far as to the top of the Grand Couronne and the Devil's Eye O.P. extremely steep and treacherous in places. Although it's worth it for the treamendous views.

If you can go, do because it's one of the best preserved battlefield site I've site I have ever been to.

I would recommend you contact Alan Wakefield as I know he goes there on a regular basis and has written an excellent book on the subject.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...2520132-2826858

Steve Smith