Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Closing in on Pte. Battersby from Blackpool

jagjetta

Attached is a photo of a soldier with the photographer's inscription on the bottom that reads, "Battalion Shrt. 1918". A period inscription on the back reads, "Pte. Battersby, East Yorks. from Blackpool."

From the Medal Index, I could determine that there were at least four soldiers in the East Yorkshires with the surname of Battersby. Can anyone help narrow the field by determining which, if any, were from Blackpool?

Photo attached. I am confused by the photographer's inscription as well: "Battalion Shrt. [or Shvt.?] 1918" Does anyone have any ideas what this might mean?

Thank you for your help and consideration.

Best regards from the USA,

John A-G

Hi John,

Sorry cannot help with the Blackpool connection but the photographer's inscription reads:

'Battalion ShOt' to me.

:)

Regards,

Steve.

John.

Looking at his rifle, and if indeed it is battalion SHOT then I wonder if he was the battalion marksman in shooting competitions?

Ian

John,

A quick look at the 1901 Census brought up two potential Battersbys in the Blackpool Civil Parrish. Henry Battersby (age 6) and James Battersby (age 9). Of course that would assume that your Battersby was from Blackpool originally and was in his mid-20s at wars end. Anyway, not much but I figured I'd chip in.

Cheers,

~Dan

A quick look at the 1901 Census brought up two potential Battersbys in the Blackpool Civil Parrish. Henry Battersby (age 6) and James Battersby (age 9).  Of course that would assume that your Battersby was from Blackpool originally and was in his mid-20s at wars end.  Anyway, not much but I figured I'd chip in.

Cheers,

~Dan

Dan:

Checking the 1901 Census was a really good idea! That does lead to to some possible narrowing of the field. Of the four Battersby's in the East Yorks, one was named James. Of course, the James you found would have been 27 in 1918, but it is a good lead for me to follow. Thank you so much.

As for the term "Battalion Shot"...is that a reference commonly used in UK units to indicate a high scorer or marksman? I must confess, it is a term unfamiliar to this old yank! Looking at the scanned photo, though, it does seem apparent that it says "Battalion Shot." Funny, in face-to-photo examination, it just doesn't look like the second word is "shot."

Last night, I spent a great deal of time studying his rifle and trying to determine what it was. I think some higher res scans are in order to really magnify and refine the details. But right now, I have narrowed the field to either a Ross Rifle or an Ariska...neither of which I would really regard as the the preferred tool of a marksman! Also, it would seem odd that a front-line unit would still be using either of these weapons in 1918.

All the best,

John A-G

Iola, Wisconsin USA

Thank you all for your comments and ideas!

John

A Long shot?? excuse pun.

Working on Dans census details James from Blackpool was in the 4th Battalion which was serving(or part theroff) in Bermuda. The sun bleached uniform and unusual weapon could point in this direction.

I will look at Regiment history tomorrow to see if "Battalion shots" are recorded.

Joseph,

What GREAT information! I agree with you that the out-of-date khaki drill uniform sure lends itself to the tropical deployment.

And, too, thank you so much for narrowing the field by one!

I will keep searching on this end and will keep all informed of what I find.

Best,

John A-G

I just found this picture on "Bermuda Online" with the following information:

"James Ferriday, then a corporal, is the third from the right on the second seated row of this photograph taken in Bermuda of D Company, 15 Platoon, 2/4 East Yorkshire Regiment, in Bermuda 1916-1919."

Notice that it is these men are wearing the same khaki drill tunic as Batterbsy has on in the earlier photo.

John A-G

Looking at this thread.. not quite elementary my dear Watson yet... but I can see it coming :)

John

John,

Looked at the regiment history no mention of battalion shooting during the Great War.

Last option I suppose would be "The Snapper" regimental magazine a complete collection is with the museum. Prince of Wales Regiment of Yorkshire Museum, 3 Tower St. York, YO1 9SB (01904 662790).

Found a mention on the web that the "Ross Rifle" was a good competition rifle but useless in the trenches. They made a sports version in .280 magnum but couldn't find a picture.

Regards Charles

Thank you Charles, for checking the regimental history. I will keep you posted on any leads that prove to be fruitful.

All the Best,

John