Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn., Gordon Highlanders

Guest J Brooke

Guest J Brooke

I am researching my great-uncle, Emlyn Howell, who was killed 15th November 1918. He was a driver in the Army Service Corps (WT4/070095), in 2nd Coy, 7th Divisional Train. At the time of death, this unit was attached to the 2nd Battalion, Gordon Highlanders.

He is buried in Montecchio Precalcino Communal Cemetery Extension, outside Vicenza, Italy.

Does any member know the movement of the Gordon Highlanders around the time of 15th November '18, and what was happening at that stage of the war?

Many thanks,

J Brooke

Bit of bad luck - the war had finished in Italy when the Austrians threw in the towel on 4th November. Divisonal HQ opened in Sossano, SW of Vicenza on 14th November. I can only assume your great uncle died in an accident of some sort.

Guest J Brooke
Bit of bad luck - the war had finished in Italy when the Austrians threw in the towel on 4th November.  Divisonal HQ opened in Sossano, SW of Vicenza on 14th November.  I can only assume your great uncle died in an accident of some sort.

Guest J Brooke

Apparently he did die in an accident, according to my late gran. The horse pulling the ammunition cart bolted, and he was crushed under the falling ammo. This was a source of great anguish for his family as he had survived four years of hell, seen, against all odds, the Armistice, then died accidentally. (His brother Roy was a Bombardier in the RHA, and survived the Somme, Ypres and other actions. He came home, and never spoke of it.)

I wondered what the Gordon Highlanders had been doing at the end of the war, so I'd know exactly where he was when he died.

Many thanks for replying.

Poor ******!