Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help needed!?!

Tommy

hi there i'm trying to research my great great great uncle Arthur Giffin. he was born in Bassingbourn in 1870, this is really the only sound information i have about him. my grandfather who remembers him says he was in the boar war and the first world war, but i'm struggerling to find out info. The only Arthur Giffin i can find on the MIC's online is Lance Corporal Arthur Giffin G/1054 8th Royal Fusiliers. Where do i go from here to research this man to find out if he is the man I'm after?? I would be grateful for any help,

regards Tom

Tom

Unless his WW1 medals are still in the family (name/service number on rim) it looks like research at Kew for his army service record. If he was in the Boer War then his records should still exist.

Ian

Tom

Did your Arthur Giffin survive the war? If so then the Arthur Giffin you've found is not your man.

G/1054 L/Cpl. Arthur Thomas Giffin was (acording to SDGW) from Hounslow, he died 19/12/1917 (probably of disease) in East Africa and is buried in Dar-es-Salaam War Cemetery.

He was serving with the 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers at the time of his death.

Regards

Steve

Tom

There is another Arthur Giffin on MIC's online, he is T/292280 Driver Arthur W. Giffin of the Army Service Corps.

A link to his MIC is Here

Hope this helps

Steve

Tom

Assuming he was in the Boer War and was therefore absent from the 1901 census, I checked the 1891 Census and there he is...spelt Arthur GIFFEN.

Born Bassingbourn, Aged 19 (so circa 1872), a Private in the Suffolk Regiment at the District Camp in St. Botolph, Colchester, Essex.

Regards

Steve

Tom

Spelt correctly in the 1881 census, he was aged 11 and lived at Kneesworth Road, Bassingbourn. Also there are his parents Joseph (52) and Elizabeth (31) and his brothers Walter (14), James (9) and Joseph (1), and sisters Luisa (20), Florence (6) and Catherine (4).

The age of Luisa (and possibly some of the others) would suggest a previous marriage for Arthur's father, Joseph.

hi all!! thanx for the information least now i have a starting point with the suffolk regiment, thank you all very much

regards tom