Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Rochford/Southend Airport

Southendnick

Hi All I am new here just introduce myself quickly my name is Nick and I live in Southend (Hence the name Southendnick!)

I am reseaching the history of 1st World war RAF Rochford/Southend Airport and air raids on the town,

I was hoping somebody could help point me in the right direction of a web site or any books that maybee of some help.

I have a few bits and pieces already but not much like the first flight was 1915 A W Robertson took off to intercept a Zep over the Thames Estuary but his engine faild so he landed on Leigh mashies.

That was exactly 90years a go on May 30th.

Nick

Nick

Welcome to the Forum.

You might like to look for a copy of the following:

The Air Defence of Britain 1914-1918 by Christopher Cole & E F Cheesman, ISBN 0 370 30538 8;

Zeppelin! by Ray Rimmel, ISBN 0 85177 239 0;

The First Battle of Britain (aka The Sky on Fire) by Raymond Fredette, no ISBN in my copy;

German Air Raids on Britain 1914-1918 by Joseph Morris, ISBN 1 897632 16 9;

Fire Over England by H G Castle, ISBN 0 436 08900 9; and

Volumes 3 and 5 of The War in the Air by H A Jones, pre-ISBNs, but recently re-printed by Naval & Military Press.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

Hi Nick ,

Southend Library has copies of the Southend Standard which have reports on the air raids on Southend in WW1.

You need to wait for Stiletto to come back from his business trip , has done a lot of research on the zepp raids .

Chris ( Hockley side of Rochford airport )