Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire Regiments in the Ypres Salient

kerry

Dear Pals,

I'm taking a group of 8 Yorkshire (North and West) Army Cadet Force adult instructors on a planning visit to the Salient so that they can then carry out their own visits with cadets from our different cap badges in future.

The historical affiliations include the Green Howards, the West Yorkshire Regt, the Royal Engineers, The Royal Artillery, the Duke of Wellington's Regiment, and the KOYLIs. The aim of the visit and future ones is to involve senior ACF cadets in remembrancce of their sponsoring Yorkshire regiments involved in the defence of the Salient, as well as involving the RBL, regimental associations past and present, and some community PR. There will also be read-across to project work for those doing BTEC and the Duke of Edinburgh award.

Action at Hill 60 covers the DWR and KOYLIs in early May 1915, for which I have plenty of detail.

But I'm a bit stuck on where the Green Howards fought and when (St Julian, Hill 35?) and without starting from scratch, haven't a clue about any batallions of the West Yorkshires actions in the Salient, or from any Yorkshire RA or RE units on the Salient.

Could some kind soul kindly kick me in the right direction, and accept my apologies for my shameful lack of knowledge?

My aim then is to pull together short bullet point briefing notes and a study pack for the adult instructors to use on future visits, enabling them to take their Detachment cadets to points on the Salient where significant actions took place involving their particular Yorkshire cap badge.

Grateful for any steers on the Green Howards, WYR, RA and RE units from West Yorkshire and their actions and locations in the Salient.

Many thanks

Kerry

Kerry,

For actions of the 5th Yorkshires at St Julien you cant do better than a read through Mark Marsay's "Baptism of Fire".

As far as the other Yorkshire Regiment battalions are concerned if you post some dates etc that you are interested in I will see what I can find.

Bob.

Kerry,

For actions of the 5th Yorkshires at St Julien you cant do better than a read through Mark Marsay's "Baptism of Fire".

As far as the other Yorkshire Regiment battalions are concerned if you post some dates etc that you are interested in I will see what I can find.

Bob.

Bob, thanks for replying. I had a look on this website at the ORBAT and it seems that certain batallions from the WYR, Green Howards, KOYLI and DWR were all over the Salient at different parts.

To simplify it, I was hoping to visit locations then talk about Yorkshire Regts who might have been in action there, going clockwise around the Salient e.g:

Polygon Wood

Pascendale

Sacntuary/Shrewsbury Wood

Mt Sorrel

Hill 60

Messines

Croonaert Wood

Plugstreet

I think I can do that lot over 3 full days.

Does this help in answering your question?

Thanks

Kerry

10/W. Yorks were at the Bluff and St. Elloi in februari till early march 1916. They were there with the 17th Division, which was almost entirely made up off Yorkshire battalions. They lost heavily mid februari 1916 when Germans took the Bluff.

regards,

Bert

Kerry,

This may be of use to you.

2nd Yorkshires at 1st Ypres Polygon Wood October 22nd 1914.

From 7-00am the front was heavily shelled especially in front of Polygon Wood but no infantry assault developed until 3-00pm when after eight hours of shelling the German infantry was seen advancing over the ridge running from Becelaere to Zonnebeke.

"As the enemy came in sight the German masses staggered but led by their officers struggled on and even penetrated a gap between the 2nd Yorkshires and 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers only to be annihilated by one of the reserve companies."

The enemy came on again and,

"We could see quite clearly columns of Germans massing on our left flank.

Our artillery made excellent practice but how we prayed for more and heavier guns."

Bob.

Kerry,

This may be of use to you.

2nd Yorkshires at 1st Ypres Polygon Wood October 22nd 1914.

From 7-00am the front was heavily shelled especially in front of Polygon Wood but no infantry assault developed until 3-00pm when after eight hours of shelling the German infantry was seen advancing over the ridge running from Becelaere to Zonnebeke.

"As the enemy came in sight the German masses staggered but led by their officers struggled on and even penetrated a gap between the 2nd Yorkshires and 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers only to be annihilated by one of the reserve companies."

The enemy came on again and,

"We could see quite clearly columns of Germans massing on our left flank.

Our artillery made excellent practice but how we prayed for more and heavier guns."

Bob.

Thanks for this Bob - I have the standard book on Polygon Wood and will pourover it - i suspect that hard graft is the sole option.

Kerry

And don't forget the 1st York & Lancaster who suffered great losses in May 1915.

John

Kerry,

Dbty 245th Bde RFA (Ilkley based bty. in the Leeds artillery) and Dbty 246th Bde RFA (Otley based bty. in the Bradford artillery) served extensively in the Ypres salient 1917-1918.

Most of their free time was spent in the estaminets of Poperinghe but they faced the sharp end on many occassions. The worst event for the Otley bty. was on Saturday 3rd November when the entire gun position was wiped out by a 'lucky' shell landing on an ammunition dump on the btys. right flank. The bty. was on the infamous Gravenstafel Ridge (see any book on Passchendaele passim) and the war diary records:

'5 a.m. D/246 heavily shelled whilst manning their guns for the SOS. 10 NCOs and men killed; 4-7 seriously wounded. 2 officers servants the only ones to escape. Guns much damaged and a good deal of ammunition approx. 2000 rounds destroyed. Battery out of action'

If you wish to remember some of the unfortunate victims of this tragedy you can find Bombardier Harry Hawkins (who died leaving a widow and child to live with her parents), Gunner Benjamin Claude Hextall (died aged 22, previously employed at printing machine manufacturers Bremner Machine Co. in Otley), Acting Bombardier Arthur Suttle (died aged 22, previoulsy employed as a plumber with R.L. English of Otley) and Sgt. Arthur Wise MM (died aged 24, the 3rd son of Thomas Wise the RSM of the Otley bty (and ex-leather tanner), who was previously employed as a printers engineer at Dawsons Ashfield Foundry in Otley) on the Tyne Cot Memorial. To name but few. :(

p.s. I've posted a 'family tree' of the btys./bdes. in the 246th Bde/Wm. Barnsley Allen VC thread in Units and Formations

Edited by Simon R

West Yorkshire regiment

OK a quick zap throughthe regimental history gives the list below, The places are not exact but just pulled from the chapters. so sorry if there are some mistakes, I am supposed to be working for the day job at the moment

Pilkem Ridge 1917 2nd Battalion

Langemark 2nd, 9th Battalion

Polygon Wood sep - oct 1917 12th Battalion

Poelcappelle Oct 1917 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 9, 21st Battalions

1st Passchendaele 10th Battalion

1918 18th Battalion

JOhn

Many thanks John and Simon I will now start digging. Simon, the info on Otley Bn was especially helpful - we have an Army Cadet Force Detachment at Otley and this personal familiy next of kin info is priceless as I can privide suitable case studies for them to research themselves - can we discuss off forum?

Thanks

Kerry

They should make an appointment to visit Otley Museum in the Civic Centre and ask to look at the research files on casualties on the Otley Parish Church War Memorial. They can follow up names in the Museums name index.