Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tour de France

uncle bill

Being a cycling fan and a Great War addict I've found a way of joining the two. On a recent visit to Notre Dame la Lorette I noticed a memorial plaque to Francois Faber from Luxembourg who was KIA at Carency in 1915 with the Légion Etranger. Just another name ? He was the 1909 winner of the Tour de France. Research has shown up two other Tour winners, the 1908 winner Lucien Petit Breton who was killed in an accident whilst serving in the army and the 1910 winner Octave Lapize who was shot down on Bastille Day 1917. Many other "lesser" riders were killed in the Great War, one interesting story to follow up is that of the Belgian Marcel Kerff who was shot as a spy. So all those who know of famous sportsmen who died in the war let us know. Jean Bouin who was the best runner of his day was killed also after refusing a cushy post behind the lines. I also believe that a former All Blacks captain is buried in Poperinge but this needs confirming.

It could be an interesting way of making the younger generation realise the scope of the loss. Imagine....... David Beckham KIA 1916, Lance Armstrong 1915 KIA , Tiger Woods KIA 1918 and so on.

I also believe that a former All Blacks captain is buried in Poperinge but this needs confirming

David Gallaher (the first All Blacks captain!). He DOW in October 1917 and is buried in Nine Elms Cemetery. The England captain that he played against in the 1905 tour, John Raphael, is buried nearby in Lijssenthoek.

The trophy that France and New Zealand play each other for is named after Gallaher.

Dave.

thank you Dave. I'll visit his grave on my next trip up to Belgium. Do you know if any all blacks have visited his grave ?