Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ormesby St Cuthbert Church

paul guthrie

it is reported in the June 2005 WFA Bulletin that the Great War Cross is so eroded that the names thereon cannot be read and that repair will cost 3000 pounds. Donations may be made by check to St Cuthbert's Church or in any currency and mailed to Stan Grosvenor, 5 Egton Ave, Nunthorpe, Middlesborough TS7 0QY. This certainly seems worthwhile, 29 men of this village went off to the Great War, 12 returned and their names should be remembered.

We will remember them.

There are now many memorials which are becoming worn or damaged. One in my home town would have been the appropriate one to have had my great uncle added to, but the local council deemed it not satisfactory (although it doesnt seem to be doing anything to renovate the memorial).

I'm all in favour of public subscriptions to help out here.

However, I was a little surprised to see that Stan, who is the Editor of the Newsletter, used the influence of his editorial column to push for donations to the renovation of his own village memorial. It appeared as if it was a WFA sponsored fund-raiser. Not exactly impartial, perchance? :angry:

I've been trying to think of a form of words to write to the Association since I read the piece.

Disgruntled of Stockport