Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenadier Guard Nippers - Lock Forward

olinda

George William Nippers was a grenadier guardsman in WW1. Regiment service number 22351. He was born in Keynsham in 1889 and moved to Tredegar before emigrating to Canada in 1927. He played rugby in South Wales and then for the gold mine team in Timmins Ontario.

His first wife was Asner (or Anser) Pugsley who emigrated with him before marrying in Canada.

I would very much like to find out more about his service record and any rugby record in the Guards (although I suspect the opportunities were small during the war when he was posted to france). I am also keen to know his marital status and home address when he enlisted.

George's birth was recorded in the September quarter of 1889 in Keynsham. Vol 5c, Page 641.

At the time of the 1901 census, he was living in Stanton Drew, Belton Somerset, with his parents William and Ellen, brothers James and William, and sisters Mary, Nellie and Winifred.

Anser Pugsley was born in 1900 in Pontycymr, Glamorgan. In the 1901 census of Wales, she is living in LLangeiner, Glamorgan with her mother Eliza (nee Davey), sister Pentrice and Uncle Philip and Aunt Ethel (Davey).

Sorry, but I can yet locate the wedding.

George William Nippers was a grenadier guardsman in WW1. Regiment service number 22351. He was born in Keynsham in 1889 and moved to Tredegar before emigrating to Canada in 1927. He played rugby in South Wales and then for the gold mine team in Timmins Ontario.

His first wife was Asner (or Anser) Pugsley who emigrated with him before marrying in Canada.

I would very much like to find out more about his service record and any rugby record in the Guards (although I suspect the opportunities were small during the war when he was posted to france). I am also keen to know his marital status and home address when he enlisted.

hi

If he played rugby in south wales there would be a good chance he played for tredegar rugby club  may be worth a shot of contacting them i can get the rugby club address for you as i live near if you like

Thanks. I have a photo of him in a rugby team and I have sent a copy to Tredegar RFC to see if they recognise it. No reply yet.