Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Field Artillery Brigade AIF diary

robbie

I have just received a copy of the above War Diary which covers the 1915-1918 period. It stands at about 8" high. Please contact me if you'd like me to look something up.

Robbie :P

Hi Robbie

One of the soldiers I'm researching was with the 5th FAB (15th Battery) - he was wounded in the head on the 31st July 1917 (and eventually returned to Aus). I'm assuming this would have happened during the Battle of Pilckem Ridge 31/7 - 2/8/17 (beginning of the 3rd Battle of Ypres).

Does the diary give details of this battle?

I know there's little chance of him being mentioned - but just incase: Gnr Rae BROADBENT no.31395.

Thanks & Cheers, Frev.

Hi Robbie

One of the soldiers I'm researching was with the 5th FAB (15th Battery) - he was wounded in the head on the 31st July 1917 (and eventually returned to Aus).  I'm assuming this would have happened during the Battle of Pilckem Ridge 31/7 - 2/8/17 (beginning of the 3rd Battle of Ypres).

Does the diary give details of this battle?

I know there's little chance of him being mentioned - but just incase:  Gnr Rae BROADBENT no.31395.

Thanks & Cheers, Frev.

Hi Frev,

here are the entries from 17.7.1917 when the bridgade moved into position for the subsequent battle.

Dickebusch: 17.7.1917: Moved to Dickebusch (5th Army area) where we pitched camp. (For AVELUY, ORVILLE, ETREE WAMIN, ROELLECOURT, AMETTES and BOESEGHEM see Map Lens 1 11/100,000). For STAPLE, GODEWAERSVELDE and DICKEBUSCH see Map HAZEBROUCK 1/1000,000).

18.7.1917: Instrcutions received for Brigade to take up positions near SPOILBANK (YPRES COMINES Canal).

19.7.1917: One section per Battery took up positions and preparations made for the remaining Guns to be taken into action tomorrow night.

20.7.1917: Remaining sections took up positions; - Batteries were shelled on arriving at Positions but no casualties caused.

21.7.1917: Regristrations carried out. Communications difficult owing to lenght of wire necessary, and several test boxes being destroyed.

22.7.1917 to 30.7.1917: in view of an operation taking place on 31st. instant, new Battery positions were reconnoitred and selected in vicinity of LARCH WOOD and HILL 60. This proved rather a difficult task as the Batteries on the forward slope were in full view of the enemy, and all gun pits and ammunition dumps had to be very carefully camouflaged. Several showers of rain caused gun pits and ammunition recesses to collapse necessitating extra work.

31.7.1917: 5am: operation carried out in support of British Infantry attack.

6am: owing to the success of the operation the Brigade moved forward to their selected positions near Hill 60 and were in position and firing to programme within 45 minutes. Batteries suffered casualities which were light in comparison with the 1st Divisional Artillary who moved up only half a mile to our North. Rain during the day added to the strenuous task of the Infantry and the Artillery.

I had no idea granddad was on Hill 60 - we visited there with the Pals trip earlier this year and I was struck by how small it is.

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

Did the research in Oz go all right?

Cheers

Kim

It did indeed thanks Kim. See below.

Robbie

Robbie

Thanks heaps for those details.

Glad to see your grandfather made it through - and you obviously got to spend time with him.

Cheers, Frev