Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Going over the Top

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have always wondered what went through most men's minds as they climbed out of their trench and moved into no mans land.

Has anyone ever spoken to a veteran about this?

What would go through your mind put in that place?

Iwould probably think about my wife, although I would be trying to keep my eye on the job!

Ian

Guest Hill 60

I'm only speaking from my own experiences, and I wouldn't say that others would have the same feelings in the same situations.

I have found that, like Ian says, thoughts of loved ones do creep in to the mind. However, as soon as things kick off all those thoughts go out of the window.

In the past, I have been at incidents where people have been in real danger and out of their minds in fear. On the way to the job, I admit, I have been very scared! But on arrival the need to get the job done, not to let your mates down and being a little thick-headed stops all other thoughts.

One bit of advice when dealing with life and death situations: Always have a spare pair of underpants with you..............or wear a brown pair in the first place :D

I know the circumstances are somewhat different to going over the top in the Great War, but my late father was a Bomber pilot in WW2. He used to tell me that it was the waiting for the off during the preceding few hours to a raid which was the worst part of it. Once he opened up the throttle and the Lanc began to roll down the runway he became absorbed with flying the plane and the tension eased, although searchlights and flak over the target brought a detached feeling of fear, and there was the constant fear of night fighters right up until the wheels touched down again at the end of the raid. (On 3 March 1945 German nightfighters infiltrated the landing circuits over 5 Group airfields and shot down 21 returning bombers when they made their final approach) Then the debrief, a feeling of exhaustion and concern for crews who were overdue.

A contrasting emotion was given by a Great War veteran I once saw being interviewed on TV. The commentator asked him if he felt scared when he was in the trenches, to which he replied "Yes, all the time. The only time I stopped feeling scared was when we went over the top. Then I became terrified"

I should imagine the tension over the last few minutes waiting for the whistles to blow must have been ghastly. It must have been sheer hell being in a follow up wave which had just watched the preceding wave being annihilated. It says something about the bravery of those men that in such circumstances they didn't crack under the strain and still went over.

Tim

Guest stevebec

I agree.

As an ex soldier with some combat experice I can say that when you go into danger there is no time to worry about getting shot.

I always found I was to busy looking after the men around me to think if I was next for the chop.

I hate to say it but is like being high on some drug when your under fire. And it last for a while after untill it wears off.

It also is addictive and I found myself trying to get on every patrol I could to feel it again.

It was the main reason for doing two tours when most did only one.

But don't get me wrong there are times when you do feel like its the end and do get scared but you also know you have to get on with the job at hand.

But thats just my peronal expirence.

S.B

I'ts hard to even think what would be going through my mind if such an even was to happen to me.

Purhapse the effect of adrenaline, sheer terror and about a 1000 different emotions all at once you could not pick out a certain emotion. I agree with Steve, I guess that at the end of the day yeah, you've got to get on with it, and try against all the odds not to fold.

I think Jay as hit the nail on the head there would be so many different emotions, I have never been in a dangerous situation but I used to race in Motocross races and I used to get butterflies very bad on the start line but once the line went up the butterfies would go. I think the waiting to go over the top would be the worst part, once you were up and going the adrenaline would kick in.

Regards

Annette

I hope this isn't an entirely laughable comparison but at my paintballing stag do last year we talked about the same thing- how could they have got up and walked out into all that? It was bad enough with 100% non lethal paint pellets flying around and everything was telling you to stay down and out of harms way! :P But then you get an adrenaline surge and you're off.

Those men had courage, discipline, faith... incredible really.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Steve & Lee make some interesting points. I wasn't married during the time I was 'in' and saw active servce, so I suppose my emotions have naturally changed. Food for thought...........

Ian

Adrenaline, mind focussed, trained for this job, raring to go, bout time, kill or be killed.....

Huge range of emotions but essentially in the mind of the regular soldier it is a job and thats what you have been trained to do, focussed on the job, a professional...

The raw recruit or conscript who knows, but yes similar to the other postings... terrified.

If you have seen Forgotten Men on video you will still see the fear in their eyes the slight faltering of words as the experience is recounted.

It is seared into their brain....

John

One date my Father always remembered was the day the first time he went over the top in 1915, he would remind us as children, but in retrospect more likely himself and how lucky he was to have got away with it.

Cliff. Hobson.

Saw the same reaction today on the news with the Korean War vets(see earlier posting)... they were choked about being the forgotten war... like the Burma Star Ass being the forgotten army..

John

Guest Hill 60
Saw the same reaction today on the news with the Korean War vets(see earlier posting)... they were choked about being the forgotten war... like the Burma Star Ass being the forgotten army..

Whilst I agree with you about the Korean & Burma Veterans being 'The Forgotten Army', imagine how my father and the other Veterans of the Suez Canal Zone (1950-54) felt, they really were a 'Forgotten Army'. It was only about 3 weeks ago that the Government finally agreed to award them a medal.....but they reckon it could be another 3 years before they are issued! My father will be 73 in three years time, he was 18 when he went out there!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Lee,

My sources tell me the medal issue to the Suez Veterans will be a GSM with a 'Suez Canal' bar, and the GSM will have the pre 1962 ribbon.

Ian

Guest Hill 60

Ian - Thanks mate.

I felt that the Veterans should have got the 1918-62 GSM, so it is nice to know that the government aren't going to design a new medal! I know there was talk of the possibility of issuing the Africa GSM 1902-56, but I think that fell flat.

Where did you get your info from? Mine comes from Britain's Small Wars - Suez.