Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme mine crater at Fay

Simon Jones

This post card purports to show a mine crater at Fay, near Estrees Deniecourt, in the French sector south of the Somme. Does anyone know if it still there? Indeed, was it ever there? It looks to me like it could actually be the Lochnagar Crater.

Many thanks

Simon

post-1722-1119345463.jpg

Simon

It could easily be what it says. Fay was one of the main foci of mine warfare from very early onin the war. Attached is a shot of an equally large crater incorporated by the Germans into their front line. I am not sure if any craters still exist there - probably not.

Jack

post-6447-1119359928.jpg

Jack

Thank you, I would very much like to know what survives at Fay - I suspect nothing. I couldn't see anything on the modern 1:25 000 map.

Regards

Simon

Simon

I can only put my hands on one original map of Fay. It's dated 19 Oct 15. It shows six craters in a line just to the north west of Fay. Four are clustered in a line (N-S) between the two woods marked as Le Bouquet and Bois Bourdon on the modern map [Hindenburgwald and Epheuwaeldchen respectively then] The other two are close together between the more northerly, triangular shaped pond on the modern map (just above the words 'La Remise') and the D164 Fay-Cappy. I know for a fact that there were more mines than that, but right now I cannot put my hands on anything better. I suppose it is possible that the southern-most pond just east of Bois Bourdon may cover a crater, but I think it more likely that you are correct; that there are no modern traces of the craters and that the current ponds formed as a result of gravel/clay extraction or something similar.

Jack

Jack,

I visited Fay last year, there is a ruined village there, now preserved by the French, however I did not see any craters of the size shown in the photo.

I'm pretty sure that there was mining in the area, to quote from the excellent booklet

"The Visitors Guide to the Battlefields of the Somme", published by the Somme Tourist office;

"Fay - Once the front line became stabilised in October 1914, the immediate surroundings of the village were shaken by the murderous war of mines in 1915.

Located in the front line, Fay was taken in a ferocious struggle by the French Colonial forces on 1 July 1916.

Hidden away in pre-war days at the bottom of a valley and along the hillside, the village was rebuilt a few hundred metres further East on the open plateau. Depending on the time of year, the visitor may be able to see traces of the village in the ploughed fields (bricks tiles etc)"

There are quite a few clumps of woodland in the area that could still conceal a large crater, (similar to Hawthorn Ridge), and the area is well worth a visit.

Rob.

Jack & Rob

Thank you, this sounds very interesting and worth a visit. Amazing that such large craters should not be visible, I wonder if any of the woodlands were not there before the war, in which case they could conceal craters.

Regards

Simon