Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Archibald Sydney West. DCM, MM & Bar. RGA

Guest John_Ellis

Guest John_Ellis

I'm trying to track down my Grandfather's military history in WW1

He enlisted into the Royal Garrison Artillery (Regiment No: 43041), on the 22nd August 1914 & achieved the rank of Serjeant before being discharged on the 5th December 1918. According to his medal card the cause of discharge was P2A1 392 xvi KR (any light on what this means would be appreciated) I assume he was invalided out as he was awarded the Silver War Badge as well as War & Victory Medals (which have his Name, Regiment No & Regiment on the rim as you would expect).

However, I also have a copy of Army Form B. 2077 which states that he was a trooper (No: 2629) in the First Life Guards & he was discharged on the 18th November 1918. It goes on to state that he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (Sept 25th 1916), Military Medal (May 13th 1919) & Military Medal Bar (Sept 23rd 1917). Whilst I don't have the actual medals I do have a medal ribbon (I don't know if that's the correct term) which has the correct medal colours & what appears to be a silver rose on the Military Medal Colours)

I wonder whether anyone is able to provide any information relating to the events surrounding the award of these medals. I've tried online searches of the London Gazette but to no avail. I live in Yorkshire & it would need a special trip to go to London

Many thanks

John

post-7322-1119296070.jpg