Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FJ Cooper Prince of Wales Volunteers

liverpool annie

I would appreciate any information on my Grandfather Frederick Joseph Cooper

The 1st Battalion South Lancs Regiment (Prince of Wales Volunteers) was stationed at Fort Regent Jersey Channel Islands from 1890 - 1892, but I don't know where they went immediately afterwards. He was there at that time as he married my Grandmother 1890 and 1891 census he was enumerated ! I think the Regiment went to South Africa in 1899 for the relief of Ladysmith - and I know he was fighting during the Boer War - he also served in France in WW1

At one time I had his service papers - stupidly I had no copies made - a robbery wiped out all information - so I'm trying to piece together his service life !!!

Any information would be gratefully received

Thanking you in advance!

Annie

Annie,

I can fish out the details from regimental histories when I get home, but roughly speaking:

- The first Battalion served with distinction in the Boer War, losing their commanding officer (Lt Col McCarthy O'Leary) whilst leading a charge at the Battle of Pieter's Hill

- From South Africa, the Battalion shipped to India, replacing the 2nd Battalion, which had being doing its turn overseas since about the mid 1880s.

- The 1st Battalion remained in India throughout the Great War. Quite a lot of officers, and a number of NCOs and rankers were transferred to other South Lancs Battalions during the war. Therefore, your Grandfather would have to have transferred to another unit to serve on the Wester Front.

- On a similar subject I have read letters from men of the 1st in summer 1914, chomping at the bit for the chance to take part in the west, their enthusiasm not yet tempered by horrific casualties. They were indignant that the 'Fighting Fortieth', the senior Battalion in the regiment, was to be denied its chance whilst others more junior took part.

Hope this helps,

Ste

Hi Ste

Thank you so much for your reply!! I'd really like to know more - if you can dig out your histories - I have his medal card - if fact I have 2 and I'm not sure if they are both his - I bought them both - as I thought maybe one was for Boer War and one was for WW1 - knowing my luck they are probably 2 Frederick Coopers!!!!!

I'd love to know where they were in France too if possible

He was a full time soldier - I think he enlisted in Warrington and trained at Tidworth - my Dad was also in POWV and was in India I think it was 1923 - as I said I had this - but we had a robbery and they took all the stuff that is practically impossible to replace - why couldn't they just take the TV ????

Thanks again for your help

I appreciate it

Annie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ste!!

I was just wondering if you were able to find out more info about my Granddad and the Prince of Wales Volunteers - I've been checking every day - but just had to ask - as I was languishing on Page 5!! Hope you don't mind the reminder!!

Thanking you in advance

Annie