Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"raised from a muddy grave"

stephen binks

The title of the topic was a headline used in the national press in 1998 regarding the battlefield find of a British tank.

Can anybody update the story as to the whereabouts of the tank and the history of the tank and its crew.

Thanks

Steve Binks

Hello again Steve,

The tank was nicknamed 'Deborah' and found at Flesquieres, from where it was removed by a team from a Northampton TA unit and manoeuvred into a barn. I believed it is owned by a local hotelier and GW historian.

A search should reveal previous discussions about Deborah.

Steve,

as Kate states a local Hotelier Philippe GORCZYNSKI is involved with this tank (I think in fact he located it) He and a friend also published a book called 'Following the Tanks to Cambrai' which mentions the said tank.

I stayed at his Hotel (Hotel Beatus in Cambrai)in about 2000 and he very knidly spent time showing us the remains and many other artefacts he has collected over the years. Perhaps if i had not spent so much time in his bar area I might be able to recall more for you!

Regards,

Scottie.

Interesting stuff.

....  is someone able to post some pics?

Philippe allowed me to take photos whilst I was there (there is a large "no photography" sign) but he reminded me of copyright rules and not to use them publicly. Sorry but I thought I should remind other Forum members of Philippe's intentions.

The BBC did a documentary on the Deborah and it is repeated on Sky occasionally. Also there is his book!

Oh well.

Don't know about over there but in Australia, the copyright is held by the photographer, not the subject owner.

Still, in this case, given that he was good enough to allow you to take the pics, I guess you have to respect his wishes....

Cheers,

Brad

The photographer owns the copyright ... however, you traded that when he pointed out his sign and you got his permission ... pity, I keep coming back to this thread for a glimpse

Dear All,

there appear to be some photographs available on the web, try;

www.association14-18.org

or

www.tankmuseum.co.uk

Regards,

Scottie.

The photographer owns the copyright ... however, you traded that when he pointed out his sign and you got his permission ... pity, I keep coming back to this thread for a glimpse

Here's a glimpse, photo taken in 1999 and no sign in sight. Philippe is on the right.

Regards

Simon

post-1722-1119617135.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't it look like it took at least three large-caliber AT rounds from the sponson on forward? (The one behind the sponson clearly is part of the structure of the hull.) Any other clues to it's demise?

Bob Lembke