Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Numbers

Guest Tony Drew

Guest Tony Drew

My grandfather was in the Royal Engineers in the 1st WW, his service number was 275317. During his service, the number was changed to WR/289706. Now I served in the Royal Air Force and my service number never changed, can any one enlighten me as to why this would happen.

Thank you - Tony Drew

WW1 numbers were allocated by Regiment or Corps. e.g. The Northamptonshire regiment would have had a set of numbers, and the Bedfordshire Regiment another set, where the numbers would repeat. The Corps units- Royal Engineers, Labour Corps, ASC, etc. - had their own set(s) of numbers.

Army numbers, which you had, came into existence in 1920 to avoid some of confusion caused by the myriad Regimental numbering systems and each soldier had a unique number.

Steve.

Army numbers, which you had, came into existence in 1920 to avoid some of confusion caused by the myriad Regimental numbering systems and each soldier had a unique number.

Steve.

Tony wouldn't have had an "Army Number" in the RAF!!! Their system was different (but similar! :blink: ).

The post-1920 "Army Numbers" (some units had another different system in use between early 1919 and 1920 also) could be more correctly termed (I know that they weren't officially) "Regimental Numbers" as each regiment had it's own number block. It was therefore possible to trace a soldier's first unit (the number stayed with him throughout his service) simply from his number.

The true "Army Numbers" came out in 1950 starting with the number 22000000. This is the same system that's in use today.

Dave.

My grandfather was in the Royal Engineers in the 1st WW, his service number was 275317.  During his service, the number was changed to WR/289706.       

Your Grandfather's Number within the RE Changed,notably,as he was obviously posted to a "Waterways & Railway" operating Company,hence the prefix "WR",which would have been the reason for number change in this instance;Numbering in WW1{& previously} is a very complex issue,unlike post WW1 when the Number allocations for Regiments{that had formatively begun in the latter stages of WW1 within the TF,with each TF Unit being given a six figure series of numbers within a certain range} started,when a Service Man or Woman was given a Number that then followed them throughout their service,no matter where they went{With,as usual,exceptions to prove the rule!}

Steve.

Tony wouldn't have had an "Army Number" in the RAF!!!  Their system was different (but similar! :blink: ).

Dave.

All I can say is Oops! Fair cop....

That's what you get from answering questions at work.

Must read question better next time.

Apologies to all!

Steve.

Guest Tony Drew

Thank you to all who replied to my query, especiall HarryBetts, who got straight to the heart of the matter - my grandfather was latterly involved with 265 Railway Coy in Egypt and Palestine - so the "WR etc., is logical.

Thank You

Tony Drew