Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Harold Langford MC RFA

stevenbecker

Mates,

Can anyone help me with the details of the award of the MC to this officer.

He was commisioned into the RFA from the AIF in Oct 1915 but after that I have no record.

Do you know why he was given this medal and what unit in France? he was serving.

Thanks for any insight.

S.B

Bit short on details Steve, but here is the LG entry -See 2194 Supplement to the London Gazette, 3 March 1917

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

“2nd Lt. Harold Langford, RFA, Spec Res

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led a party to within a hundred yards of the enemy’s lines and brought back an enemy gun. He displayed great courage throughout”

Regards

Michael D.R.

Thanks Mick,

One would wonder what an Artillery officer (RFA) was doing leading a party of soldiers across the lines to capture a gun (Arty or MG)?

There appears no clue in what unit he was serving with to gain that award also?

Just more questions to look for

Cheers

S.B

My experience is that, while not common, it is not unheard of, for artillery officers to lead a group of gunners into the front lines or even enemy territory to capture an enemy gun or to recapture lost British guns. I know of at least five other occurrences where this type of action is described in MC citations or in unit histories. In fact there was at least one occasion in France of a RMA battery that was formed entirely of enemy guns that had been captured by the RMA in this manner. Regards. Dick