Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The War Illustrated, Volume VII

jim_davies

I would be happy to do look-ups in the above volume, having made an index of 279 identified photos it should be easy to check. At a later stage planning on creating index for the other volumes.

Most of the men covered are officers who died Jan-Oct 1916, from a cross section of regiments, there is also a smaller number of photos of award winners of all ranks.

Will only able to post scans about once or twice a month due to scanner issues.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Not sure if this is your volume, but could you check for:

'The War Illustrated', October 30th, 1915 p243 entitled 'Briton's Amphibious Dardanelles Activities'?

I would greatly appreciated a scan of the top image showing the SS Clacton under fire from turkish land batteries.

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Volume VII, is titled "The Autumn Campaign 1916", and I think is a compilation of various weekly editions during that time frame.

Volumes III or IV would cover the period Oct 1915. I've lent out both of these, but will have them back in early August. Will check and make the scans then.

Jim

Thanks for the offer Jim - much appreciated!

My grandfather transshiped from the Clacton into the small tows that brought him in to V-Beach on the morning of 25 April, 1915. Majority of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were wiped out as they landed on the beach. My grandfather was slightly wounded in the head but survived!

I am trying to get a good scan of a photo of the Clacton - this is the only one I've found. So many thanks to you.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian,

I'm not sure if this will work if not can you pm me with your e-mail addressa nd i'll send you the picture, if it is not a good one then you may have to wait. as i'm afraid my scanning skills are like my gardening skills,ie none existant!

Mandy

Brian,

I'm not sure if this will work if not can you pm me with your e-mail addressa nd i'll send you the picture, if it is not a good one then you may have to wait. as i'm afraid my scanning skills are like my gardening skills,ie none existant!

Mandy