Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Warrinder Bowes - 290th SB

PhilW

post-700-1119167954.jpgpost-700-1119168003.jpgHaving done a lot of research on my Grandfather I am now trying to find out a little more about the others who joined up with him in Leyburn, Autumn 1914. One of them is Signaller Warrinder Bowes (service number 104992), who died on 9/11/1918 and is buried in Terlincthun Cemetery, Boulogne. He was with 290th SB RGA. I realise that he could have been in hospital for some time, or may have died somewhere else and be buried here, but could anyone tell me where 290SB was about this time?

Thanks for any help. hope I have attached photos correctly!!!

290 Siege Battery was at this time part of the 8th HA Bde which was part of the First Army. 8 Bde were a 9.2 Howitzer Bde made up of 16, 235, 290 6" howitzer batteries & 90 SB 9.2 Howitzer.

The First Army held at Armistice a 14 mile front of the BEF consisting of 8 Corps, 22 Corps & Canadian Corps in the Picardy/Artois region. The First Army had advanced 5 miles beyond Mons as of 11/11/18 and sat astride the Mons/Conde Canal.

In picardy the 22 & Canadian Corps had since October fought battles at Selle, Valenciennes, Sambre and through to Grande Honnelle.

In the Artois region 8 Corps had captured Douai and Mons in the same period. 8 Corps were the left hand Corps of the First Army front.

Unfortunately I don't have anything to say which of the above three Corps 290 SB/8 HA Bde were attached to at this time. Only by looking at the three Corps Heavy Artillery Commanders diaries can you be a bit more accurate, but its a start.

Hope this is of use

essdee