Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A. Brown - Sheffield Steelworker

smiths565

I am looking for A. Brown who worked in the steelworks of Sheffield before he went to war. There are 3 possibles ...

BROWN, A A Serjeant Major 6410 15/07/1915 0 Royal Horse Artillery. ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN

BROWN, ALEC CHARLES Lance Bombardier 159031 22/08/1918 0 Royal Horse Artillery. BERLES NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

BROWN, A H Driver 61859 05/01/1918 30 Royal Horse Artillery. TINCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

Cany anybody tell me if there is a Sheffield connection on any of these.

Cheers

Robert.

Robert

SDGW does not show any Sheffield connections for these three:

Andrew Aeitken BROWN (DOW)

Born: Curragh, Kildare

Enlisted: Nottingham

Alec Charles BROWN (KIA)

Born: Maulden, Bedford

Enlisted: Bedford

Arthur Henry BROWN (Died)

Born: Greenwich

Enlisted: Chatham

However it does show the following enlisted in Sheffield:

4885 Pte Albert Brown, 2/5 Y&L - KIA 26/2/17

9501 Pte Albert Brown, 1 Y&L - KIA 23/4/15

12/607 Pte Arthur Brown, 12 Y&L - KIA 1/7/16

3/3011 Pte Arthur Brown, ¼ Y&L - KIA 16/4/18

47667 Spr Arthur Brown, 96 Field Coy, RE - KIA 3/10/18

50285 Pte Arthur Leander Brown, 27 Northumberland Fusiliers - KIA 28/4/17

12/314 CSM Arthur Brown, 13 Y&L - KIA 12/4/18

Regards

Mark

Many Thanks Mark - I'll check these out, but I'm pretty sure the A. Brown I'm looking for was a member of the Royal Horse Artillery.

Cheers

Robert.

Many Thanks Mark - I'll check these out, but I'm pretty sure the A. Brown I'm looking for was a member of the Royal Horse Artillery.

Cheers

Robert.

When I say, I'm sure - the letters RHA appear on a memorial after his name. Could it be a different regiment ?

Just dropping an idea... in which Steel Company did he work? I say it because it was not uncommon of firms to have a "Roll of Honour" of fallen ex-workers: if such is the case, it might give you further information.

Gloria

Just dropping an idea... in which Steel Company did he work? I say it because it was not uncommon of firms to have a "Roll of Honour" of fallen ex-workers: if such is the case, it might give you further information.

Gloria

Today its called Sheffield Forgemasters, before that, BSC River Don - At the time of the war I think it was called Vickers. The list/plaque that I am researching says something like - 'In honour of the men from this works who fell in the great war'

I worked there straight from school as a Moulder in the foundry - Thats why I'm interested in it.

:)

Robert

I’ve checked SDGW again. In total there are 27 men with the name A. Brown listed for the RHA and RFA (including the three you initially asked about) – none of them are shown as having a Sheffield connection.

Out of interest, how are the names on the memorial ordered – are they alphabetical (most are) or in some other order? I’ve been researching the Ranmoor, Fulwood and Ecclesall memorials for the last couple of years. The names on Ranmoor are listed roughly in the order they died. This helped enormously in identifying some of those with more common surnames.

Regards

Mark

Robert

I’ve checked SDGW again. In total there are 27 men with the name A. Brown listed for the RHA and RFA (including the three you initially asked about) – none of them are shown as having a Sheffield connection. 

Out of interest, how are the names on the memorial ordered – are they alphabetical (most are) or in some other order? I’ve been researching the Ranmoor, Fulwood and Ecclesall memorials for the last couple of years. The names on Ranmoor are listed roughly in the order they died. This helped enormously in identifying some of those with more common surnames.

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark. They are alphabetical. Something will no doubt turn up which will identify him. Mark, I've been researching Stannington & the parish of Bradfield. The results are on my website see link below. It might be of interest to you.

Cheers

Robert.