Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisions

Guest wrinklyone

Guest wrinklyone

I have found references, which I would like to verify, to 6th Div and 9th (Scottish) Div being in the Salient (Sanctuary Wood/Hill 60) Feb/Mar 1916, relieving the mauled Canadians.

Does anyone have a means of confirming this please?

I have found references, which I would like to verify, to 6th Div and 9th (Scottish) Div being in the Salient (Sanctuary Wood/Hill 60) Feb/Mar 1916, relieving the mauled Canadians.

Does anyone have a means of confirming this please?

The History of the 9th tells that the Divn relieved the 25th Divn on 24th January, in the Ploegsteert area and stayed there until the end of May, so I don't think your reference tallies there. On the matter of the 6th, the 2nd Londons and 16th Londons were both aprt of the Division at that time: the History of the 2nd states that they were in the Armentieres sector, and the History of the 16th (Westminsters) confirms this, being in the sector until relieved and going to Bailleul in May.

Hi wrinklyone

The British 6th Division were stationed in the northern sector of the Salient at this time

Feb/Mar 1916
their right flank lay at Railway Wood.

Hi Steven

The 6th Div. left Armentieres sector May 1915 for the Salient.

Annette

Call me an idiot in all the languages you want! I looked at early '15, not '16 for the 6th Division - the Londons left the Division in February '16 to go to the 56th Divisions then forming.

However, the 9th were definitely in the Ploegsteert area at the time, until heading south in May '16.