Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maxse's "Misdeeds as a Brigadier"

ianw

In Sheffield & Bourne's "Haig's War Diaries and Letters" page 244 , a letter dated 18.10.16 by Haig to George V is quoted. Whilst praising Maxse and his 18th Division , Haig comments ;-

"I think his misdeeds as a brigadier at the beginning of the war should be forgotten".

I don't have a copy of Maxse's biography and wonder if anyone can shed some light on this.

I could be wrong, but was it something to do with a mix-up which led to the 2nd Munsters being lost at Etreux in August '14, when Maxse commanded 1st (Guards) Brigade, of which 2nd RMF were a part? A friend of mine has done some research into this, and it rings a bell.

I have the bio, but its buried under a move around upstiars. if no one gets in first i will dig it out tonight after work and have alook. that said i am sure it is something to do with Stevens comments.

regards

Arm.

Thanks guys.

Looking at the Official History, it would seem harsh to blame Maxse for the failure of the messages he sent to get through to the Munsters. Though I suppose, bf definition, "good staff work" avoids such things but the fog of war was impenetrable on the day in question.

Their defence was a magnificent feat of arms but was perhaps viewed as a disaster as part of the general Le Cateau recriminations. Perhaps Haig is guilty of a bit of "II Corps" envy and Maxse had to take his part of the blame but redeem himself in 1916.

It would seem to transpire that Maxse had been given an order by Haig on a visit during the advance on the 1st september. Haig had come foward with Lomax, 1st Div commander and asked/advised maxse to send foward patrols. For some reason he declined to do this, the reason is not known. Haig took this to mean and apparently according to the Bio author noted this in his own diary that Maxse seemed to have lost his fighting spitirt he had so often before displayed!!

Also it is noted that maxse had a habit of complaining on the performance etc of other branches and this would not have gone down well with many of his seniors.

It seems he was not adverse to speaking his mind.

Hope this helps

Arm.

Looking in more detail at the Maxse entries in the diary does confirm that Haig did blame Maxse for the Etreux incident. Indeed, Maxse was sent home in 1914. ( Though mot directly by Haig, I presume). That said Maxse's report of the incident in WO 95/588 , has some apparently damning comments added by Haig. Gary Sheffield suggests some of the blame was justified.

he was a very caring general,he looked after his men and wasnt scared of speaking out,no matter who it was,same stamp as general congreve,bernard