Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War and Peace Show

Michael

The War and Peace Show is "the World's largest military vehicle spectacular"

To quote the advert.

It is held at Hop Farm Country Park, Paddock Wood, Kent.

It includes over 4000 military vehicles, 1000 trade stands selling militaria and evening entertainment including themed party nights.

This year it is held between 16th and 20th July.

More info here

John.

Its somwhere near Tunbridge Wells, and so not far for me. I for one plan to go on the 17th or 18th. It would be good to meet anyone else who is going.

A similar event Military Odyssey is held at Detling in Kent in mid-September, and I found last year's event a good day out.

Military Odyssey

Its a great day out. I tend to go by myself on a weekday to see the stands. i then take the boy at the weekend to see the blokes dressed up as Americans shoot the blokes dressed up as Germans.

Its not far from the M20 in Kent

Michael

Michael I know we have discussed this before. I am still not sure if I am going on the Saturday or more likely the Sunday. Keep in touch about it although after those Vanguard medals I dont have any money to spend anyway.

Hi All!

Yes, I will be there. I love looking for old books on the Great War and anything else with a WW1 connection. One of our new members, Mark Noe, is camping out over the weekend ( rather him than me! :D ). Mark and I will be searching for a WW1 Lee Enfield Rifle, should be plenty about.

Does anyone know if the WFA have a stall or information tent there?

Hopefully the weather will be fine and sunny.

Regards

Terry

Can't say I've ever seen a presence from the WFA (unless they're the ones dressed up as SS officers !)

Michael

Can't say I've ever seen a presence from the WFA (unless they're the ones dressed up as SS officers !)

Michael

Michael, you are naughty :lol:. I would have thought it would be a great venue for the association, all those interested people. Oh well, what do I know!

Terry

I'm going tomorrow and Saturday. If you see a bloke with a black baseball cap with an orange SF on the front, come and say hello.

Michael

Ian

You didn't miss much. There are a lot of museums and libraries this year (at least thats what I think they are, because there is no way they're going to sell anything !)

Hope everything's OK with the family

Michael

Hi Terry,

Did you and Mark manage to find the SMLE you were looking for? I've just got back from the War and Peace show and there was a goodly number from which to choose. I don't yet know a great deal about WWI Lee Enfield rifles, certainly not enough to buy one with confidence (although I do know a good shotgun when I see one), which is why I wasn't buying today. However, discarding those with what appeared to be replacement or seriously mucked-about-with wood and those that were just tatty, there were not many that would have made it onto my shortlist. Having said that, those I did pick out as rifles I'd be most likely to buy were gone at the end of the show. All were about the £200 mark.

I was a tad disappointed that there wasn't more for the WWI enthusiast (although admittedly this year's show was billed with a definite WWII bias) although I may have missed something, with just one day it's almost impossible to take in all the trade stands, vehicles and see the re-enactments in this massive fair. Certainly, if you were scratching your head wondering just where you could completely re-equip an entire battalion of WWII Wehrmacht or SS soldiers from uniforms and insignia to weapons and transport Beltring should be top of your list.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Mark here, I did manage to find a SMLE (what I think to be a nice one). Mk III*,1918, Enfield factory. I went Beltring Friday and come home Sunday. It was quite a nice weekend apart from the thunder and lightning on Saturday night when I was stuck in my tent.. Not much on the WW1 front but alas still a great weekend.

Mark