Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prisoners of War

midletonman2001

I seem to recall reading somewhere that all POW's, on their release at the end of the war, received a copy of a letter from The King.

However I can't recall where I read this and I have not been able to find out anything about it. Does anyone know anything about this or is my memory playing tricks?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Midletonman

There was indeed such a letter, printed from an original handwritten copy, and it said,

The Queen joins me in welcoming you on your release from the miseries and hardships, which you have endured with so much patience and courage.

During these many months of trial, the early rescue of our gallant Officers and Men from the cruelties of their captivity has been uppermost in our thoughts.

We are thankful that this longed for day has arrived, and that back in the old Country you will be able once more to enjoy the happiness of a home and to see good days among those who anxiously look for your return.

George R. I.

Tom

I seem to recall reading somewhere that all POW's, on their release at the end of the war, received a copy of a letter from The King.

However I can't recall where I read this and I have not been able to find out anything about it.  Does anyone know anything about this or is my memory playing tricks?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

There has been a few for sale on ebayrecently , I got this image of one which is on ebay presently. They are obviously copied letters with the individuals name etc printed at the top. This image isnt that clear but if you keep an eye on ebay some of them you are able to read, thats if you dont wish to purchase one.

Jamie

post-4161-1119110065.jpg

I think the letters were issued un-named as I have seen many of them without names on. The letters were issued in envelopes, which had "A message to you from the King".

However, I have also seen a lot that have names on, some like the one shown are handwritten, I guess by the recipient. I have also seen a few with the names typed on, not enough to work out if particular units named the letters to their men.

The letter shown is named to 10611 Pte D Slaven, 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers.

post-1035-1119126192.jpg

Many thanks for your responses - I am very grateful.

I imagine my Grandfather had a copy of this but I have no idea, sadly, of what became of it. Neither my Mother nor Aunt have ever made mention of one.

I have printed out a copy of the letter to show them – hopefully it will trigger a memory. Fingers crossed.

Once again, my thanks.

:)

middletonman,i have my grandfathers,they werent named,they were all the same,old georgy boy just wrote one out and a facsimily machine did the rest,any additions on them were put on by other people,owner,relative etc,bernard