Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

mic

Swally

Guys,

I am new to the Forum and not entirely sure of the workings of MIC and the likes.

I am tracing on a number of relatives who served during the WW1 and beyond.

A great uncle of mine Hery Alexander was born in 1885 and I believed served with some type of RHA, RGA, RFA. Through old photos/postcards I have been able to establish that he served possibly in Salonika but could be Turkey (depends if what he writes at the baclk of his postcard is poetic licence in order to get through the censors. I have checked the MIC and there are two or three who could be my uncle. Is it just a case of downloading them at 3.50 a pop and eliminating them or is there another way.

The guys I have in mind are-

Alexander, Henry. Royal Field Artillery. L/45916, Driver

Alexander, Henry. Royal Field Artillery 62733, Gunner

Alexander, Henry. Royal Field Artillery 80822, Driver

80822, Gunner

What information would I be able to glean from these said documents.

Hopefully someone can help an amatuer.

Best Regards,

Ally

Hi Ally

If you look at the image reference numbers for these three men you will find that 2 of the men you have listed are on the same image so that will cut down your costs by £3:50 :)

Steve

Ally

I'll have a look. I'm off to the NA on Monday. Have you narrowed it down from birth date from the cencus?

Chris C

If you have pics then people here might be able to tell you if he was a driver, gunner etc from his uniform.

Even if you have all three MIC's you still might not be able to tie him down without more info. Do you know what his medal entitlement was?

If you think he served outside France then you might be able to narrow him down by looking at the Theatre he served in first which will be on the MIC, but that might not still tie it down.

post a pic of him if you can and I say bite the bullet and download the 2 MIC pages, (6 MIC's per sheet).

Regards

Leigh

Chris,

cheers mate,

I know that his date of birth was August 26th 1885. Thats the thing with the mic, how do I know that I have the right guy prior to downloading the card. As I said I am new to this, is his DOB listed somewhere prior to download.

Thanks for the offer of some help

Ally

Guys,

I have posted a picture some days earlier and the replys would indicate that he was either a driver or a gunner. The picture shows my great uncle in desert combat gear, shorts & pith helmet, on the back of the postcard he writes..........................."somewhere in Greece" I wouldn't have thought that would have got through the censors. In another picture he is pictured against the backdrop of a Minaret, I wouldn't have thought that they had these in Greece.

It is possible that he started in Greece then moved against the Turks.

Facinating though it is, madening that I don't have more info.

Regards,

Ally

post-7142-1119086346.jpg

The MIC will not list the DoB.

But it will list the medals, regt, regt numbers theatre of war first served in.

If you got both MIC's thats £7.

If 2 have france as the theatre and one somewhere else (eg Salonika) then it might be him. BUt he might have gone to france then on to Turkey.

You also need to check if his service records exist, if they do for any of these Henry's then you will at least be narrowing it down. These are only checkable at teh National Archive.

Regards

Leigh

And some higher res pictures might help someone (not me) identify a bit more.

L.

Just seeen your other tread :ph34r:

Edited by leigh