Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anthony Wilding - RM 9th May 1915

Clive Harris

Hi folks,

fellow forum member Julian Whippy and myself have just assisted the Daily Telegraph in writing an article on Anthony Wilding, 8 times Wimbledon Champion who was killed with the Royal Naval Armoured Car Division on the 9th May at Aubers. We have scoured our archives and cannot find a photograph of his headstone despite both of us taking numerous in the past. The article goes to print next week and we wondered if anyone had a copy on file and could assist us in any way. He is buried in Rue Des Berceaux Cemetery, thanks in advance, we will of course pass your details on though we cannot guarentee that the paper will credit individual photographs in the article. :)

Hello Clive,

Hi is buried at Richebourg L'Avoue (Pas de Calais ), not at Aubers (Nord)

WILDING, ANTHONY FREDERICK

Captain Royal Marines

RUE-DES-BERCEAUX MILITARY CEMETERY, RICHEBOURG-L'AVOUE

I'll go take some pictures this saturday.

Please send me already a private e mail adress, you'll find mine on my web site.

Regards.

Pierre

Pierre, I cannot thank you enough, I have been to visit him on many occasions in Rue de Berceaux, you will find him just up from another interesting character Elliot Lockhart DSO with the Corps of Guides.

I will of course credit you for any photograph, I cannot promise that The Daily Telegraph will do the same, I will send you a copy of the article when it arrives,

thanks once more chum, a grande beire is on me should we meet on the old frontline...... :D

frontlinelondon@lycosmax.co.uk

or clive@frontlinelondon.fsnet.co.uk

Clive,

I hope we'll meet.

Also a big culp of milk for Wellington and Leo... :lol: